Wheel alignment time

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Wheel alignment time

Post by milehighXR »

Like it says its' time for wheel alignment. I have -3° camber on the left rear, and -1.5° on the right. I have heard of other owners "muscling" the camber on the rear end by bending the sta. Just how do you guys do this? Not that I'm gonna be able to as I don't have enough mass to do that, and I have a bad back, so using sheer strength to fix it isn't gonna happen. But if I can get a good enough description from you guys, I just happen to be financing a college education for some kid, and I'm sure he's able to do it for me without killing his back :lol:

Elsewise I'm gonna have to find a shop that's willing to do what I tell them to, and that's not gonna be easy. I haven't ever found one willing to even set toe where I want it :roll:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wheel alignment time

Post by jkxr4ti »

Save your back and order some shims of various thickness from McMaster Carr. Use those to shim the bearing carrier and take care of your difference in camber/toe.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shims/ring-shims-7/
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wheel alignment time

Post by milehighXR »

Not keen on the shims. I think I have a set laying around here, and I haven't used em simply cuz I dont like the idea of adding thickness between the bearing carrier and its mounting surface. I'm not gonna going for land speed records, but I'd much rather bend back the sta. I'm pretty sure I bent something when input the poly bushings in. Some were so tight going into the mating pice after they were installed that I needed a hammer to get the sta back into the subframe. Ride height has already been checked and it is the same on both sides.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI