Fuel pressure gauge

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Fuel pressure gauge

Post by milehighXR »

As old as this car is, and the various issues I've had over the years, I've decided to install an electric fuel pressure gauge for diagnostic purposes. I have a 2 gauge A pillar pod, can't remember who I got it from.

Had to chop one retainer post to get it to go all the way down without binding.

Doesn't seat all the way unless I cut the retainer.

Connected dimmer wire for incandescent bulb to the dimmer wire for the stock gauges. It dims all the way to off just like the stock gauges. Now if only I can find a modern radio that does that :roll:

Final product. Autometer 3363, comes with 0-5v sender, and has analog output for data logger. I think its the 2 posts with the nuts on the back, but wiring diagram that came with it didn't say how. I'll have get out the volt meter when I install a data logger to verify. I have no affiliation with Autometer, I just know they make good stuff.

The wire for the sender went right thru the firewall where all the other ones go thru on the drivers side. I had already cut a small slit for the vac hose, and cruise control wiring when I installed that(still not working). I routed it up and along the OE main harness to the sender. At first glance under the hood you don't even know it's there. Sender threads right into the stock schrader valve hole.

The black plug is one I had laying around from a pack of plugs that I bought for the evap case so I can oil the motor, and not hack the case to pieces, or remove it whenever I wanna oil the blower motor.

As I was verifying the install I discovered that my pulse dampener was leaking. Removed it and the gauge is completely immune to the pulsation. I once removed the dampener for grins, and looked at fuel pressure with a diagnostic gauge that screws onto the schrader valve, and it was impossible to read, so dampener went back on. The leak I had was intermittent, until today I had only occasionally smelled gas in the garage after parking the car.

Really nice to be able to see fuel pressure rise with boost as I'm driving along, and have a visual verification that the fuel pump relay is functioning at KOEO.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fuel pressure gauge

Post by milehighXR »

Oh yeah, I'm gonna have to slot the slots for the A pillar retainers(the plastic bits that the screw that hold the A pillar trim in place) so I can slide this down just a bit more. There is a noticeable gap at the dash pad, and the A pillar pod. I can see the wires from the drivers seat.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI