TFI relocated

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

TFI relocated

Post by milehighXR »

Finally got around to relocating the TFI today. So easy I dunno why I didn't do it sooner.

I removed the overboost pressure switch, the buzzer has been disconnected for years, and stuck it there. Plenty of wire on factory harness, and then just run a new harness from the PIP to the TFI keeping in mind which wire goes where. Easy peasy nice n cheesey. I may go back and gut one of my bad TFIs and use it as the plug for the new connections to the PIP. The spade connectors I bought off Amazon(cuz I couldn't find any that were narrow enough) were to thin to stay in on their own. The TFI pins are 3/16" by .020", my new ones are 3/16" x .010". So I put 2 of them together, crimped and soldered the wires on with their little insulators and it was done. They feel pretty snug, and it'll be the first thing I look at if I have a sudden no start situation. Drilling the holes was the hardest part, I had to use my dremel to start the lower hole cuz my drill wouldn't fit and the bit kept walkin on me.

As you can see I'm also now running the PDI Dyna Mod TFI module from LMR: https://lmr.com/item/PDI-000555/1986-93 ... ion-Module

Haven't put many miles on it yet, and I could still have an issue with the PIP, and or leaking injector, but it seems to idle smoother, and during KOER test after test drive I hit 6k+ rpm at dynamic response test :shock: Never had it go that high I don't think ever.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Re: TFI relocated

Post by hEaT »

Very random thought/comment, but what suspension do you have and how is your strut bearing installed? The amount of threads showing looks JUST like a car I worked on where the upper spring cup / strut bearing weren't stacked and installed correctly. With Powerflex yellows I had a good inch of threads showing, Powerflex black, a few less but plenty to know the nylock is engaged.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I'm running KYB yellow adjustable rate struts, with MC2 cant remember spring rate now springs, and MC2 poly bushings up front. No spacer under springs at this time.
Johnny

DCLXVI
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I put KYB AGX adjustable struts on my SVT Focus and they were a revelation.

I mounted the remote TFI on mine on the back of the wheel well near the water bottle for the windshield washer. I agree that it is not so hard to do and solves a nagging problem with the overheating chips.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Back on topic, the TFI relocation is a very good idea - it basically follows what Ford themselves did with the last vehicles to still use TFI, namely the full size trucks and vans. The F-150 used the remote TFI from '92 until '96. The odd thing is how few people seem to do this swap on the trucks despite there being factory parts available. I used the closed-bowl distributor and remote TFI from a '93 F-150 to do the swap on my '91 F-150 4.9. I really had to search around to find anyone else who had documented the project. I was rather shocked - there's plenty of old Ford trucks running around but nobody is doing this?

The other option you can do, which I did about 20 years ago now, is to switch to DIS and ditch the distributor and TFI module entirely. This is a more involved project, but not terribly difficult, and you can continue to use your existing PCM should you so desire (unlike swapping to EDIS).
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Brad,

DIS may be in my future. Have to see if my "new: ac setup will clear. I going to be using Ghosts old serp setup and his ac system. He is putting an LS(?) into his XR, so he gave me a great deal on T5, and the serp setup with ac.

Incidentally my heat sink came from a F150 with the 4.9.
Johnny

DCLXVI