Rack depower

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Rack depower

Post by milehighXR »

So I attempted one rebuild on my ZF rack, I only had the info in my service manual(I will photo a couple pages later, as my manual is fully updated, but it conflicts itself on ZF rack rebuild). Anyhow, rebuild failed, still leaked from same spot as before. This is with a different rack mind you, I had one on the floor awaiting rebuild, the one in the car started leaking from both ends, and my "rebuilt" rack leaked at both ends, more so form drivers side. I bought a vast majority of the tools off E-bay. I couldn't find a few of them, and dunno if my redneck tools sliced a seal or not.

First time I fired it up I think I used the wrong fluid. 2nd time I flushed it out with 2-3qts of Mercon LV(all Napa had the was "compatible" with the OE fluid. Still leaked after this process, including attempted top up with more oil, and some Lucas power steering additive.

So for now I am running with a shorter belt so I don't run the pump. The lines have not been looped, and are not open to atmosphere. It is a lot more effort than I want at parking lot speed. If I loop the lines, or open them to atmosphere will it be a huge difference? I don't expect as easy as power, but as it is now, running around town or running errands after work is out of the question. It's too much of a workout for me right now.

Does anyone know what the fitting is on the high pressure side? I don't want to hack any lines to loop them, and I may need to rebuild that anyhow, as the last time I put it together the pressure line felt loose even though it did not leak, and was tight. It had not been like that before messing with the rack build.

Also, I noticed when reading one of the other threads that there is chance the rack could lock up if depowered. Is this only a potential issue if I don't loop the lines?

I downloaded the BMW manual, and will peruse that before I make another attempt, as I will keep power steering being that the plan is to DD this car again. Though if I find a "quick, easy" electric rack conversion I may do that just to get to something with greater parts availability, and silent operation. This pump is loud as f---.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Rack depower

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I am also wondering if the rack could lock up. I've read that over and over which is a little troubling. The previous owner depowered the ZF rack back in the 1990's or early 2000's I believe. The pump is gone and the high and low pressure lines were cut a few inches above the rack. This was done right through the rubber hose with no attempt to loop the lines or run them into a reservoir of power steering fluid. I highly doubt the rack was disassembled or modified in any way. The car was a little hard to steer in parking lots but totally fine driving down the road. Now that I have removed it I may take it apart to have a look inside. A different ZF rack is ready to go in which already has good boots and inner tie rods. I already have the pump, pulley and bracket assembly ready as well. On a different XR, also with the ZF rack but with power steering, I used the Autozone brand power steering fluid with stop leak. The pump was covered in fluid and would run dry after a couple of weeks. After filling it a few times it no longer needed re-filled and I drove it like that for a few years. I may have topped it off but it didn't seem to leak enough to leave a spot in the driveway. The best part was that pump was almost silent, only making noise occasionally when very cold or maneuvering in a parking lot. Maybe the seals were just so worn out that it didn't squeal like so many do? If this car squeals like crazy when it is done I may depower. But I will do it correctly so I am not thinking about it locking up in the back of my mind. :sawzall
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Rack depower

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I ran an unpowered TRW rack for several years - I just ran the lines open to filtered atmosphere. I don't think you'll see a big difference in effort no matter how you do it - like you, I thought it was too much effort which is why I went with the Saginaw pump (I promised myself to never go back to the factory C2 pump).
Brad