t3 rebuild

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
hybridEF8

t3 rebuild

Post by hybridEF8 »

Hey all.

I'm currently rebuilding what I think is a stock T3 Airesearch turbo using a fairly standard t3/t4 rebuild kit off of ebay. The issue I'm running into is the turbo back plate is sealed using a 4 piece carbon seal (example https://www.gpopshop.com/t3-t4-seals.html) which doesn't seem to be compatible with the standard turbo rebuild kits out there. Those kits use a dynamic seal thrust collar which is too wide to fit through the center opening of the turbo backplate.

Right now my options are:
1. Source a different t3 turbo backplate to complete the rebuild using the rebuild kit I have. Looking on ebay it's easy to find "t3 back plates" but the measurements don't match up to mine (total diameter, compressor wheel size etc)
2. Source a new core turbo entirely
3. Find a new rebuild kit with the 4 piece carbon seal. The seal on this turbo was cracked and my understanding is that they're very fragile generally

Right now I think (1) is my best bet, maybe using merkur parts midwest though their site is down at the moment. For what it's worth, I'm planning to use a compressor wheel from a stock Grand National turbo with this rebuild. Anyone have experience rebuilding a turbo on these cars?
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: t3 rebuild

Post by my8950 »

Did you contact GPopshop for your seal? I'm sure if you contact them and explain what your situation, they have what is required to make it work.
hybridEF8

Post by hybridEF8 »

my8950 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:03 pm Did you contact GPopshop for your seal? I'm sure if you contact them and explain what your situation, they have what is required to make it work.
I will reach out to them and ask. TY!
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I tried to drop by to visit with the folks at that shop (in the poorly signed or marked back roads of AR) when going on a road trip to MO and they were not there when I arrived. Clearly they are not there every day so if there is a delay in response it is also clear that they really are in business just not there as an 8-5 M-F schedule. It was not my day as I also tried to visit with an Airstream repair shop in the same area and they were not there that day either. !! It was a Friday so they both took a long weekend, I guess.

I would recommend letting GPop rebuild as they can make the T3 have a bearing instead of a bushing from what I have read on their site. I stopped by to try to discuss making mine a T3/4 hybrid with a bearing instead of a bushing. Still need to do that and will address this issue in the coming months.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic