Fuse Box Melted

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fuse Box Melted

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

OK Thanks!
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
dhraakoxr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhraakoxr »

There is so much gold here! Thanks everyone! If I remember to update this post I will add some pics when I gettr' fixed.

Also, for the direct link to the melted fuse article here yah go: http://www2.merkurclub.net/pdfs/KizerScorpio/14.pdf
http://xr4ti.wordpress.com

85 XR4Ti: 1.5 Bo-Port Cam, Stinger Header, T3/T4, T5'd, Turbo back 3" Exhaust, Koni coilies (350/750's), LA2/LargeVAM, MC2 Diff Mount, Merkurdriver's IC/Rad, ChuckW Motor Mounts, Ported and Polished everything, Cossie Body Kit.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Something about it doesn't look correct. The fuses don't seem to wrap around but are in two rows instead. So possibly this is not an accurate ebay listing. Possibly for a Scorpio?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Ken Kizer's Scorpio fuse box.
Screenshot_20230623-161304_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20230623-161304_Dropbox.jpg (545.57 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Squintanditsmint

Post by Squintanditsmint »

I was reading the thread with interest hoping to get an answer on how to detach the plugs from the fuse box.

I'm building a Sierra Sapphire with an L series 2.0 Duratec. I've just reconstructed the transmission tunnel and will be painting the interior soon, but not until I've removed the loom.

Can anyone explain how to dissemble the fuse box / remove the plugs from the back? It looks like there is some sorry of locking pin but I can work it out.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Just FYI from MCA FB.
Screenshot_20230726-161310_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20230726-161310_Lite.jpg (853.93 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Squintanditsmint wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:47 am Can anyone explain how to dissemble the fuse box / remove the plugs from the back? It looks like there is some sorry of locking pin but I can work it out.
Welcome Gavin. Years ago I tried to do exactly what you're suggesting. I seem to recall there were a few different connector types, and none of them wanted to come out. I have a few different extractor tools, but still no luck. I gave up and just removed the whole harness with box still attached. I then removed a bunch of stuff, re-sized the fusebox, and now have it indoors. It's not an elegant solution, but good enough.
Brad
Squintanditsmint

Thanks Brad. I've been trying for a while to both work out how to disassemble and find an answer to the question online. Both paths have come up with nothing.

I masked the fuse box and taped it to a pole to enable me to prime the engine bay. I'm now looking at priming the interior. I guess I'm pulling the loom through the bulkhead.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Take a look here for what that harness looks like once removed....

http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewt ... ed#p161274
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I remember lifting straight up on the underhood fusebox and it came up exposing the hole in the body. Then on another xr it wouldn't lift up at all. It seems like it was made to push down and click during the assembly process. So possibly the plastic tabs or whatever were already broken off by a previous owner. There's also a bunch of wires that pass through over by the engine computer. Try a small inspection mirror and flashlight to see what is going on, and then work underneath while a helper pulls upwards. :cheers
Squintanditsmint

I've pulled the whole loom out through the bulkhead now. It was interesting finding the plugs up inside the rear pillars. Next is a good clean up and paint. Can't wait to put the loom back, I've rat damage to fix first though.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Use some plastic wedges to expand the shell of the box away from the center. You will almost definitely need to futz with the wire harness under the dash as it’s quite tightly assembled. You should be able to get several inches of slack, though.The terminals can be removed with standard removal tools.
Squintanditsmint

I was successful with separating the inner block from the outer flanged box. The issue was removing the plugs from the inner block rather than the terminals from the plugs.

Now it's all out I'll find a a well lit spot and have a closer look. I'd love to work it out.