Merkur front hubs with Volkswagen struts

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Merkur front hubs with Volkswagen struts

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:01 pm

A couple of data-points to add to this conversation....

The Mk4 Golf R32 and Mk1 Audi TT use the same front strut which is nearly the same as the "standard" VW Mk4 strut. The only difference is the provision for a stabilizer bar of some sort - you can clearly see it in this pic...
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/610269_x800.webp

Since we wouldn't be using this stabilizer bar, we should be able to use these struts just the same as the typical Mk4 strut being discussed here. The only possible issue would be if that fitting interfered with the body, but I'm pretty sure it won't. If the struts were modified for use as coil-overs that would totally be a non-issue since most of that lower spring perch would be cut off any way.

FWIW, yesterday I picked up a set of lightly used Koni 8710-1377 SPORT (as linked above) which came with H&R springs installed. So now I have two sets of VW Mk4 strut assemblies. Perhaps I'll have to try doing something with them some time soon. :roll:

For reference, overall height of both the Konis and KYBs is about 24.75". Overall height of factory Scorpio struts is about 26"
Brad

my8950
Level 6
Level 6

Post by my8950 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:58 pm

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:01 pm
A couple of data-points to add to this conversation....

The Mk4 Golf R32 and Mk1 Audi TT use the same front strut which is nearly the same as the "standard" VW Mk4 strut. The only difference is the provision for a stabilizer bar of some sort - you can clearly see it in this pic...
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/610269_x800.webp

Since we wouldn't be using this stabilizer bar, we should be able to use these struts just the same as the typical Mk4 strut being discussed here. The only possible issue would be if that fitting interfered with the body, but I'm pretty sure it won't. If the struts were modified for use as coil-overs that would totally be a non-issue since most of that lower spring perch would be cut off any way.

FWIW, yesterday I picked up a set of lightly used Koni 8710-1377 SPORT (as linked above) which came with H&R springs installed. So now I have two sets of VW Mk4 strut assemblies. Perhaps I'll have to try doing something with them some time soon. :roll:

For reference, overall height of both the Konis and KYBs is about 24.75". Overall height of factory Scorpio struts is about 26"
Thanks for posting this Brad, I am really interested to see and get a better understanding on how this works.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:47 pm

I plan to try it on a Scorpio first. The Scorpio upper mount is a different setup than the XR, so I will need to get that sorted out. Another issue is that the Stock Scorpio strut is longer than the XR, so I'll have to see what issues that presents.
Brad