1989 5 Speed XR Build Three

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

1989 5 Speed XR Build Three

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Build up number three.
Part one: Sun Valley Performance build in Arizona late 1990's
Part two: Barberton Ohio after trip to Carlisle 2013
Part three: Barberton Ohio Summer 2023 (and Spring 2024)
Last edited by andyofcolumbusmerkur on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 1989 5 Speed XR Build Three

Only pictures I could find of car from the Sun Valley Performance days.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

So much yellow at Sun Valley
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I've never heard of Sun Valley, but I am 99% sure that car with the yellow was in Michigan about 25 years ago...
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

my8950 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:48 pm I've never heard of Sun Valley, but I am 99% sure that car with the yellow was in Michigan about 25 years ago...
It was in Michigan. That guy had it awhile before selling it to Mike at the Merkur Depot. I don't think it was driven in the winter while in Michigan since it's really clean underneath. SVP made a lot of custom parts way back when. Seems like they copied some of the David Godfrey stuff and also made some things of their own.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

My Mom actually bought it from Mike and then years later I purchased it. Here it is at Carlisle. Wasn't on the show field but was at the hotel parking lot. I also have a bunch of paperwork from when the original owner had repairs done in Oregon and California. I wonder what he's driving these days. The guy from Michigan got all into some other German car marque, which from what I hear are nothing but problems, and not nearly as cool as the Merkur. His loss.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:53 am My Mom actually bought it from Mike and then years later I purchased it. Here it is at Carlisle. Wasn't on the show field but was at the hotel parking lot. I also have a bunch of paperwork from when the original owner had repairs done in Oregon and California. I wonder what he's driving these days. The guy from Michigan got all into some other German car marque, which from what I hear are nothing but problems, and not nearly as cool as the Merkur. His loss.
Guy in Michigan lives over by our shop. He actually bought a car off the forum here that had been for sale for years, the Carlisle give away car.
Then he YB swapped it, converted to 4x4, or AWD, and then sold it probably 6 months or so ago...
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

The car looked good from a distance. The whale tail got a little too much attention. Every fart can equipped car wanted to race. I wasn't really digging the fake Cosworth sticker and fiberglass wing. One time I came outside to find a cop car behind me in the parking lot. Of course I thought oh no I'm going to be in trouble for street racing or something. The cops just wanted to know if it really was an RS Cosworth. :lol:
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Even though the car was very clean, there were some areas I treated with Ospho rust converter before going to paint. Some chips around the front fender and hood area. A small spot against the weather stripping on the hatch. A small spot against the weather stripping on the passenger side door. And a spot from when the lower cladding, arches, front bumper, and rear bumper were removed for their yellow paint. It wasn't noticeable with the rear bumper on, but I didn't want it to get worse. I really hate rust. Nearly 10 years later those areas look just fine. This is when I put a used base model Sierra front bumper on the car.
Last edited by andyofcolumbusmerkur on Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:55 am The car looked good from a distance. The whale tail got a little too much attention. Every fart can equipped car wanted to race. I wasn't really digging the fake Cosworth sticker and fiberglass wing. One time I came outside to find a cop car behind me in the parking lot. Of course I thought oh no I'm going to be in trouble for street racing or something. The cops just wanted to know if it really was an RS Cosworth. :lol:
Mike got some attention when he had the Sapphire Cossie from the Barberton police. Wonder if it was the same one.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I don't know their names so I can't say for sure if they are the same Euro Ford fans or not, but I definitely thought I was in trouble when I saw them checking out my car. Can you edit the above post so it doesn't show the same photos a second time? I plan to add a bunch more photos showing what it looks like now. When it's back on the road I will have to drive on over and get a pic of both cars parked together. :)
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7