How To Post Photos in Forum Message

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

How To Post Photos in Forum Message

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

*** Update October 2017 *** Everything written below still holds true but with two important updates...
1) The forum software DOES now support uploading of images directly, and we have enabled this feature for paid-up MCA members. All others can still use the method described below, utilizing a 3rd-party host.

2) Counter to what I first wrote ten years ago, Photobucket has recently become a HORRIBLE solution for image-hosting. The capability they provided for years for free now costs $399/year. There are better, less expensive (i.e. free) solutions. See these threads (and many others like it) for some alternate suggestions... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32230
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329
(Nov 2018 Update.... Photobucket has updated their policy and backed off the idea of trying to sell 3rd-party hosting for $399/year. Apparently it's free again, they just add a watermark to any images)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question comes up from time to time, so I thought I'd make it a "sticky" post here in the Photo section - seemed like the most logical place to me. :dunno

First off, you can NOT directly include/attach a picture to a forum message here; the photo MUST be hosted (i.e. uploaded), to another site first. The most common one is www.Photobucket.com If you don't have a photobucket account, just go to the site and create an account - it's free and relatively simple.

Once you have your Photobucket account in place, go ahead an upload any pics there. Again, it's relatively easy.

With your pics uploaded, each one will be given it's own web address, which will appear underneath the picture. There's actually four different versions - the one we want to use is the one entitled "IMG code". This one has the correct header/footer "pre-installed", so you simply need to cut and paste that link into your message where you want the picture to appear. As a result, no need to click on the "Img" button at this site at all.

To cut and paste....

1) Highlight link text to be copied from the Photoshop page
2) Hit Ctrl-C (this copies the text to memory)
3) Go to the message you're drafting and locate the cursor where you want the picture to be inserted
4) Hit Ctrl-V

To include multiple pics in the same message posting, just repeat the process.
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

what is the format for linking a linked higher res picture, or using a picture to link another link?

also, while photobucket is the most common - it's also the most common to be blocked for people at work, while imageshack and other similar ones are not (which are also free)
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey Brad,

How do you upload it to your sig.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DSPXR4ti wrote:Hey Brad,

How do you upload it to your sig.

Ben
Not really sure off-hand, as I've never bothered. I think there are limitations on signature size, so be careful how large a picture you try to load into your sig.

If someone wants to help Ben, please feel free to post the info here....
Brad
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Same way it's done in any post:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.yoururlhere.com/folder/file.jpg[/img]
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Studeman

Post by Studeman »

[quote="demonfire"]what is the format for linking a linked higher res picture, or using a picture to link another link?

I think something like this:
Start with- [url=http://www.website.com/high-res image.jpg] (URL of image you want to link to)

Then....[img]http://www.website.com/low-res image.jpg[/img] (image you want displayed on forum)

Then..... [/url] (to stop the link with the image)

ALL (3) of the above will be on one line with no spaces... IE: [url=xxxx][img]url of xxx[/img][/url]

Ray
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Studeman wrote:I think something like this:
Start with- (URL of image you want to link to)

Then....Image (image you want displayed on forum)

Then.....
(to stop the link with the image)

ALL (3) of the above will be on one line with no spaces... IE: Image
Nope, you're making it too complicated.

All you need is the Image at the end of the web address for the pic.

Or, if you follow the directions exactly as I've indicated above, Photobucket adds those for you and you can simply cut and paste the whole address, with the tags already included.
Brad
Studeman

Post by Studeman »

Nope, you're making it too complicated.

All you need is the Image at the end of the web address for the pic.
Another poster (demonfire)wanted to know how to post a PHOTO that is hyperlinked (internally) to another website address or a larger high-res photo.... presumably- so that they can post a "thumbnail" in this forum for the dial-up guys to see quickly... but they can choose to click on the image to go to the higher resolution photo. This would speed up this forum, and save the bandwidth-challenged posters from having to wait for images to load that they may not necessarily be interested in...
The only way to accomplish that in BBCode is as I posted.

Like this one: Low-res, hyperlinked to a different view... click on image to follow link

Ray
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Two points:

Could you please clarify what the low-res/high res difference is with respect to inputing that into the link you created .

Your example may have answered it, but since I'm not sure, how does one insert a thumbnail size photo which when clicked on with a cursor then will enlarge? The one in your example is already a large size photo.

Thank you.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I think it's something like this. Note that this would only work with two images. This does not shrink the image, but inserts one and then links to another. You would insert the thumbnail image using the image code and then link to the higher resolution version using the url code. With HTML you can specify the image resolution when inserted, but makes the image grainy and still loads the full image file, just the viewing size is decreased. Doesn't save bandwidth or RAM. This is used on the homepage for OPMD. Look at the image they use of different cars. With Firefox hit right click view image or under IE go to properties and copy the address into the bar at the top and go to it. The image is shrunk using HTML and takes the same amount of resources (RAM and bandwidth) to load the page as it would if the full image was linked.

Code: Select all

[url=http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/Seatbelts/t415.jpg][img]http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/Seatbelts/t415.jpg[/img][/url]
And for LOTs of info on BBCode:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

So, coming back to this topic (posts immediately above), when someone inserts several photos into a post using the code logic above, with the one displayed being a thumbnail and the one linked to being a high res photo, does that mean that the person made a thumbnail version of each high res photo on his server (Photobucket or another, e.g.)?

If so, is there a way to automate that process or must you create/save the thumbnail version of each photo you want to display manually? It seems as though people doing this are doing it effortlessly...(photos from Carlisle, eg., here and on MerkurSport).

Thank you.

YMMV 8)
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

There has to be two seperate files. I believe photobucket and imageshack do this for you and give you two links. If uploading files to your own webserver, you have to make the thumbnails yourself.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: How To Post Photos in Forum Message

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

See this thread for some new news on this topic...
http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=32562
Brad