Merkur front hubs with Volkswagen struts

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Merkur front hubs with Volkswagen struts

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

A couple of data-points to add to this conversation....

The Mk4 Golf R32 and Mk1 Audi TT use the same front strut which is nearly the same as the "standard" VW Mk4 strut. The only difference is the provision for a stabilizer bar of some sort - you can clearly see it in this pic...
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/610269_x800.webp

Since we wouldn't be using this stabilizer bar, we should be able to use these struts just the same as the typical Mk4 strut being discussed here. The only possible issue would be if that fitting interfered with the body, but I'm pretty sure it won't. If the struts were modified for use as coil-overs that would totally be a non-issue since most of that lower spring perch would be cut off any way.

FWIW, yesterday I picked up a set of lightly used Koni 8710-1377 SPORT (as linked above) which came with H&R springs installed. So now I have two sets of VW Mk4 strut assemblies. Perhaps I'll have to try doing something with them some time soon. :roll:

For reference, overall height of both the Konis and KYBs is about 24.75". Overall height of factory Scorpio struts is about 26"
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:01 pm A couple of data-points to add to this conversation....

The Mk4 Golf R32 and Mk1 Audi TT use the same front strut which is nearly the same as the "standard" VW Mk4 strut. The only difference is the provision for a stabilizer bar of some sort - you can clearly see it in this pic...
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/610269_x800.webp

Since we wouldn't be using this stabilizer bar, we should be able to use these struts just the same as the typical Mk4 strut being discussed here. The only possible issue would be if that fitting interfered with the body, but I'm pretty sure it won't. If the struts were modified for use as coil-overs that would totally be a non-issue since most of that lower spring perch would be cut off any way.

FWIW, yesterday I picked up a set of lightly used Koni 8710-1377 SPORT (as linked above) which came with H&R springs installed. So now I have two sets of VW Mk4 strut assemblies. Perhaps I'll have to try doing something with them some time soon. :roll:

For reference, overall height of both the Konis and KYBs is about 24.75". Overall height of factory Scorpio struts is about 26"
Thanks for posting this Brad, I am really interested to see and get a better understanding on how this works.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I plan to try it on a Scorpio first. The Scorpio upper mount is a different setup than the XR, so I will need to get that sorted out. Another issue is that the Stock Scorpio strut is longer than the XR, so I'll have to see what issues that presents.
Brad
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Good to have this as an option especially since you can get the VW struts in coil over options already. At the moment I’m trying to decide on this route or converted bilsteins for the new XR.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I've seen others says, so taking with a grain of salt...Scorpio struts are different diameter than XR4ti. So, what if you want to put the Scorpio knuckle on the XR4ti for 5 lug, but you'll also need struts too. So many ideas and plans, but lacking the real know how to do... :)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am Scorpio struts are different diameter than XR4ti. So, what if you want to put the Scorpio knuckle on the XR4ti for 5 lug, but you'll also need struts too.
Indeed the Scorpio strut stub-end is larger than the XR. The VW strut in a Scorpio knuckle has been done - just a shim is needed.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

mopman93 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm the vw strut is assembled the same way as an xr strut.

you would want to undo the nut that holds the vw bearing onto the strut and put the lower top mount onto it.

xr from bottom to top: upper spring mount -> bearing -> lower top mount -> nut -> bushing -> upper top mount -> nut

the mk4 incorporates the lower top mount into the body bushing

vw from bottom to top: upper spring mount -> bearing -> nut -> bushing -> upper top mount -> nut

vw strut on an xr with a vw spring:

vw upper spring mount -> vw bearing -> xr lower top mount modified for larger diameter strut rod -> vw nut -> xr body bushing -> xr upper top mount modified for larger diameter strut -> vw top nut.

It has not been tried to use the vw strut bushing in the xr body. I might have one at home. I will investigate tonight.
Bumping this post ^^^ as it's a good summary when building a VW strut for use in XR. I was at this point yesterday and wasn't sure which parts to use from which struts. This clarifies better than a picture would since you can't see all the components in a picture.

Note that Chuck's red coil-overs are a little different up top since he's using DG's adjustable mounts.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 pm
my8950 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am Scorpio struts are different diameter than XR4ti. So, what if you want to put the Scorpio knuckle on the XR4ti for 5 lug, but you'll also need struts too.
just a shim is needed.
I'm curious about the shim, is it an off the shelf part someone has, or something we have to make?
Or shim such as using a washer/washers type of deal?
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

my8950 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:57 pm
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 pm
just a shim is needed.
I'm curious about the shim, is it an off the shelf part someone has, or something we have to make?
I just some stainless sheet metal for mine. We had some laying around at work so I was able to snag a sheet of it.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:57 pm I'm curious about the shim, is it an off the shelf part someone has, or something we have to make?
Go back a page and you'll see the pic with the shim "installed" in the strut receiver. I've currently got mine mocked up with a shim I made from some roof flashing I cut with tin snips. It's a little thinner than the .023" that Chuck used. I'll report back on the thickness and whether it was good enough or not.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:18 am
my8950 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:57 pm I'm curious about the shim, is it an off the shelf part someone has, or something we have to make?
Go back a page and you'll see the pic with the shim "installed" in the strut receiver. I've currently got mine mocked up with a shim I made from some roof flashing I cut with tin snips. It's a little thinner than the .023" that Chuck used. I'll report back on the thickness and whether it was good enough or not.
Ahhhh, gotcha, ok....I feel like at some point I remember someone actually making a nice piece for this.
But flashing or thin stainless can also probably work just fine...
Thanks guys!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:31 am Ahhhh, gotcha, ok....I feel like at some point I remember someone actually making a nice piece for this.
You're probably thinking of the adapter DG made to fit a XR spec strut into a Scorpio knuckle. That was a much larger gap to fill and thus required a machined spacer.
Brad
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Pyro Pete also made adapters too.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:49 am
my8950 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:31 am Ahhhh, gotcha, ok....I feel like at some point I remember someone actually making a nice piece for this.
You're probably thinking of the adapter DG made to fit a XR spec strut into a Scorpio knuckle. That was a much larger gap to fill and thus required a machined spacer.
possibly, it was years back...Anyhow, thanks for this.
It may make using VW struts more of an option now, although I am still using the XR spindles, good to know.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

mopman93 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm vw strut on an xr with a vw spring:

vw upper spring mount -> vw bearing -> xr lower top mount modified for larger diameter strut rod -> vw nut -> xr body bushing -> xr upper top mount modified for larger diameter strut -> vw top nut.
Worked on this yesterday and discovered perhaps I'm the first to try this using the Powerflex bushing. It would seem that the Powerflex part is thicker than the stock body bushing. As a result, the threaded strut top does not extend high enough to get the nut on there using the stock XR upper mount (the metal washer-like part you see in the engine bay). The "fix" is to NOT use the upper half of the Powerflex bushing but instead use the VW upper mount which has a rubber washer built-in and a more sunken center.

So in summary, using the same format as above, here's what I have - two changes bolded:

vw upper spring mount -> vw bearing -> xr lower top mount modified for larger diameter strut rod -> vw nut -> xr Powerflex body bushing -> VW upper top mount -> vw top nut.
mopman93 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm It has not been tried to use the vw strut bushing in the xr body. I might have one at home. I will investigate tonight.
I tried this and while it would work in a bind, it's not really a viable long-term solution. The VW bushing is smaller and thus doesn't really self-center the strut in the tower.
Brad