What have I gotten myself into...

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What have I gotten myself into...

Post by eaton53 »

CopperheadandFlash wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:33 amI believe it was the seal sticking to the hatch itself.
The seal on my Scorpio sticks pretty good. The hatches on these cars are heavy compared to modern cars.
I thought my lock might be bad, but then I pulled up hard and it unstuck.
I'm going to get some silicone spray and slick all of the rubbers up real good.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
CopperheadandFlash

Post by CopperheadandFlash »

It's a shame it was junked, such a good car. It will provide many great parts for my cars as well as any other owners near chattanooga. I got the seats, door panels, dash, carpet and other trims for about $200 I'm gonna pull as much as I can.
-Sam J.
1961 Imperial Crown ~ Mindy, 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme ~ Buckshot, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti ~ Copperhead, 1987 Ford F-250 ~ Old Grey, 1988 Mercedes 420SEL ~ Agnes, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti ~ Flash, 1994 Lincoln Town Car ~ Gremlin.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Congratulations on the triplets! :applause Like the names... would have been too easy to just go with Mo, Larry and Curly. What a shame on that JY donor, but at least it's not going to waste and you're getting all that nice stuff! Shoot, for all you're taking out of it, ask the JY if they'd sell the whole car to you cheap, or the equivalent of scrap metal value, 'cause you already got all the good stuff that anybody would salvage off it. :D
CopperheadandFlash

Post by CopperheadandFlash »

Already tried to get them to sell it, it's an lkq yard, so they are not gonna budge. If it was somebody's private yard, I'd keep trying. Been about 101 different cars come into here that I would have bought, but once they go past that gate, they only way they leave is in 1000 pieces and as a pancake. I'm gonna pull as much stuff off this car as I can, I hope it's the last junkyard Merkur I ever see.
-Sam J.
1961 Imperial Crown ~ Mindy, 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme ~ Buckshot, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti ~ Copperhead, 1987 Ford F-250 ~ Old Grey, 1988 Mercedes 420SEL ~ Agnes, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti ~ Flash, 1994 Lincoln Town Car ~ Gremlin.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

That the same LKQ which advertises "... alternative and specialty replacement parts at affordable prices?" Sounds a lot more glamorous than JY, Pick-N-Pull.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

CopperheadandFlash wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:14 am I hope it's the last junkyard Merkur I ever see.
Only way that will happen is if you either don't go, or can't see anymore.
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I think LKQ intend to be a nation wide reseller as I have seen them in the East over ten years ago and now they are out west and growing by buying out yards as they wish to sell out.

Just an idea from observation...

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic