First XR4TI ( maybe )

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xNORTHWARRIORx

First XR4TI ( maybe )

Post by xNORTHWARRIORx »

Hi everyone, first post here

about 6 months ago I found a Merkur XR4TI 1988 for sale. Immediatly I had crush on that car. I didn't know anything about this model so I made a lot of research and I got into it, althought it wasn't a good time for me to get it so I let it pass. Fast foward to now, I checked up online if it was still for sale and it is. So I send an email to the guy with question's and asking for more pictures since he is somewhat of a long drive from where I am. Info from vendor : all body parts are Cosworth replicas , some rust has started to form in the rear wheel arch , has worked on it ( you can see from the pictures ) , the headgasket of the engine blew ( say's there's only minor wear but nothing major ). The car is listed at 2 000$ cdn ( I do plan on negociating ).

Here is a Google Drive link so you can see the picture's : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I would like to know what you guy's think of it ( opinion's, comments, concern's, price, etc ).

My plan would be to make rally spec and I plan on working on it mostly by myself. I have made some research and I coulnd't ANY other Merkur whatsoever in my region ( Quebec, Canada ) so I kinda feel like it's a one-time opportunity.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: First XR4TI ( maybe )

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I say go for it if you can do most of the work yourself. Possibly get a quote on a new front bumper (replica price+shipping) and see if he can deduct that from the purchase price. :cheers
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

The car will need a lot of work, A LOT...But, it can be done. If the engine has bad head gasket, and been sitting, you'll be pulling it down and starting from scratch, or getting another and rebuilding. Looks decent, but I'd definitely try to get it for lower, if it's been advertised and not sold, with those parts on it, he should be willing to take less. The parts alone he could recover $2k, but it would also take work.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

Pretty neat... gonna be a lot of work.
I'm not a fan of the basketweave wheels, but this is one car that needs to have them.'
They're a pain to clean, which is why mine are boxed up in my basement, replaced with piepans.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers