FallenOne121's Project Build

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

FallenOne121's Project Build

Post by fallenone121 »

In 2010-ish timeframe I had first joined the MCA - but repeatedly had issue after issue including a divorce and medical issues.

2022 I started looking again into the XR4TI options - looking at ones that were close but in terrible condition - and looking on facebook marketplaces and all but kept having poor luck.

I communicated multiple times with Jon V on the phone for many hours each. I also communicated with Jeff Herson - who happened to know someone who had one for sale - Robert Urfer!

One roadtrip to Ohio later I had acquired possession of a 1987 XR4TI - but had also purchased a Cossie Grill with Merkur label & Cossie Fullsize intercooler, and acquired steering poly bushings.

And so it begins...

PRIME TIME

GETTING GLOSSY

INTERIOR

PARTS FROM ROBERT:

PARTS FROM JEFF OR JEFF HELPED FIND:

Stroked, Bored Rotated Intake Manifold

Proper Cossie Style Intercooler

Cossie Twin 12" Fan Shroud

Cossie Headlights

Also purchased RS Front Bumper

PARTS FROM MIKE OYLER (MERKUR DEPOT):

Cossie Turn Signals

OEM Heater Core

Shorty Radiator

EARLY ORDER PARTS:

Radium Fuel Filter & Cooler

AEM TruBoost Gauge
AEM Wideband AFR Gauge
AEM Volt Gauge

Radium FPR Gauge

Radium Direct Mount FPR

Stinger Turbo Pipe

Stinger 3" Downpipe

Stinger K&N Filter

Stinger 2.3L Fuel Rail

T3 Turbo Blanket

Radium Coolant Cooler / Overflow Tank

AMSOIL Oil & Filter

AMSOIL Oil (Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil)

AMSOIL Rear Diff Fluid (Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90)

Ford Performance Transmission Fluid for T9 (Ford Product #: XT-M5-QS)

4" Rockford Fosgate Performance Speaker for Rear Position

Comparison of Original Clutch & Flywheel vs SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch & SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel

Shelf of Parts

Rims & Tires I went for - only difference is I went 205/50 instead of 205/45.

Jeff Herson and I talking about options for the car and what parts were advised that I look into
Last edited by fallenone121 on Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Re: FallenOne121's Project Build

Post by fallenone121 »

2023 I plan to look into upgrades for Suspension & Brakes.

Will be driving it on the streets cruising readily from place to place.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Nice! Black paint looks good. What did you go with, brand, single-stage or two-stage (base+clear)?
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Rear Interior going In!

Visibility is kind of a big deal...

Speaking of Visibility...

--

As far as the paint -- not sure the brand but I know its two-stage.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I am loving this. I am also happy you went with the spec2 instead of 3 clutch. I have the 3 and an aluminum flywheel and it's a bear.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Ray wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:02 pm I am loving this. I am also happy you went with the spec2 instead of 3 clutch. I have the 3 and an aluminum flywheel and it's a bear.
Previously I had an 06 Subaru Impreza STI and had the Spec 2+ and remember stop and go was already rough with that one - and as I hope to just about daily this most of the year I didnt want to make it too horrifying. Had experienced the stage 2 staying power when a brake line popped while going from Tail of the Dragon to Pennsylvania heading to an engine tuner.

The stage 2+ should more than cover futureproofing any ideas of 'power' as the STI had AWD with 315 hp with a 20 year newer measure of tech.

Hoping the XR will be enjoyable to drive - and be able to pass people without issue during road trips as needed.

--

UPDATE:

With an open gauge slot due to having a 2 slot gauge holder going to A-Pillar and a 2 slot replacing the clock -

Putting AFR & Tru-Boost gauge on A-Pillar and Volt & Coolant Temp on Clock location holder.

All gauges matching as AEM X-Series - figure the temp gauge will work well for accuracy versus stock though dont imagine with the Merkur Depot Shorty radiator with the Cossie twin 12" fan shroud and a 180 thermo that I should have huge heat issues.

Looking at suspension item availability for this next spring -

I know Rapido MIGHT have capacity for swaybars come summer and have seen that Ground Control has front coilover possibilities listed for the XR...been trying to read up on the forum about rear suspension options.

Not planning to track - so I suppose my identifier would likely be 'Performance Street' :lol:

One positive the STI taught me was that the engine isnt the first focal point for a vehicle as suspension can help relate power much sooner than purely digging into the engine. When I was having work done on the STI I firstly improved the air and exhaust for flow but most the money put into it was suspension.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Additionally, i use the conti extreme dws on my (modded) legacy GT ltd. for snows i run dedicated snow tires. the conti's are great - excellent choice.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ray wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 am Additionally, i use the conti extreme dws on my (modded) legacy GT ltd. for snows i run dedicated snow tires. the conti's are great - excellent choice.
The molds for those conti's were being made right here in Akron Ohio. When the tread wears down it reads "replace" which is neat. When I worked there some delivery guy came inside and was asking who's Merkur is that outside in the parking lot. Then he's like do you know some guy nearby named Mike?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Walbro 255 lph Pump going in!

130' Rotated Intake Manifold

Oil Pan was found to be resting on steering rack - time to replace engine mounts!

Joining the Big Brake Club with PBR Two Piston Brake setup with SVT Rotors on fronts!

Looking at rear disc options - I know Merkur Depot has a kit for disc conversion.

===

Meanwhile starting to look further in to what will come later in the year for suspension upgrades and finding out what items will work out...

Weighing options...

But am thinking either GAZ or Bilstein B6 for front and rear...dont really want to lower the vehicle if I can help it...

Ground Control has a kit that could help with the front setup...

Looking at the possibility of 250 / 450 front to rear spring rates because this will be a street car and since people on the forum describe the XR as a BMW-esque corner carver there is no reason to go far from that.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Went with the Bilstein B6 Front and Rear shock (because finding the 'exact' match from GAZ was starting to be rough), Eibach 250 lb Coilover Kit from Ground Control, Eibach 9.5" x 5.5" 500 lb springs for the rear.

May have a line on a cosworth front swaybar.

Also looking into purchase of disc brake rear upgrade.

Also looking at upgrading the electrical source and ground wires for the Big 3 - trying to figure out the measurements of:

1) Alternator Positive to Battery Positive, 2) Battery Negative to Vehicle Chassis, 3) Chassis Grounding to Engine Block

Figure I will do a new source line from battery to a distro block at the rear of the bay then from there have one line go in for the amp and one go to the stock fuse block.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Today drove out to Ohio to pick up biwing spoiler, disc brake upgrade kit, and cossy front swaybar from Merkur Depot.

Tomarrow I drive out to Illinois to deliver them to Merkur Midwest Parts!
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Road trip to Merkur Midwest Parts went wonderfully - met up with Jeff.

Due to the biwing I bought having a third brake light he even had a hatch with the wiring for the third brake light - so I bought that from him.

--

I ordered shocks and springs for my XR4TI from Danaport - after a week without getting shipment info I called and emailed them without answer - tried again the following Monday and Tuesday - no answers.

840$ into the purchase I contacted my credit card company putting in complaint and chargeback request via the federal credit union.

Ordered the parts the second time around from Summit, Advanced, and Eibach Direct. Sadly no company sold or had on hand more than one of the items at a time to buy everything from the same place.

Danaport is indeed absolutely a scam.

Bilstein B6 Front and Rear shocks ordered...from Advanced and Summit.
Eibach 9.5" x 5.5" x 500 lb ordered...from Eibach.

--

Also had bought a 1/0 Big 3 upgrade kit for the supply wire and two of the grounds on the XR to help the electrical.

In the future I have distro blocks for Ground to upgrade the amp to be just a little more than stock - and a supply distro with a 150 amp and 40 amp fuse so the amp can be powered and the fuse box can be powered with the distro inline and run the amp off 8g OFC and the fuse box off 4g OFC.

--

Been looking into and pricing out fuel lines for the future. Figure if im going to upgrade from stock hardlines that I may as well consider PTFE for the replacement.

Since I already have the Stinger High Flow fuel rail and a radium inline fuel filter I will need to make sure I have the appropriate fittings for such.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Recent 'meh' had been putting me back and behind where I would rather be...

Had ordered the full suspension replacement from a company called Danaport - which is a fraud company that never shipped the product and fortunately I was able to get a refund via my bank with a chargeback versus paying the over 900$ and having nothing to show for it.

So I went through and ordered up...

Ground Control Front Coilover Setup - 250 lb

From Autozone I ordered Bilstein B6 rear Shocks

From Eibach I ordered Eibach 9.5" x 5.5" x 500 lb rear Springs

From Summit I ordered Bilstein B6 front Shocks - but Bilstein has no inventory and dont think they will be having them until the end of July.

REAR BEARINGS!

SUSPENSION!

BRAKES!

SWAYBAR!

Ordered wiring to upgrade some runs of electrical for my XR.

1/0 OFC Big 3 for the grounds and alternator supply cable.

Then got 1/0 OFC, 4G OFC, 8G OFC for wiring in other paths with inline fuses for supply and ground.

Figure I will run a 4G run to the starter and a 1/0 run from battery to a distro block that splits to 4G and 8G -- 8G running to amplifier in dash for the speakers and the 4G running to the vehicle fuse box.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Today went through and ordered -6 AN line (YAY coupons!):

40' of -6 AN PTFE
Hardline connectors a pair of 5/16 & 3/8 to -6AN so I can use the best fit for the hardlines off the tank
Bulkhead Fittings Straight & 45 degree fittings
-6AN to -10AN ORB connector to go from line to Radium fuel filter and back
-6AN to -8AN ORB connector to go from line to Stinger Fuel Rail and back
Two slot -6AN line clamps (5x 6 pc)

Next year I plan to look into changing up the computer and injectors - just buying parts ahead of time for the fuel system.

Still trying to figure out which computer to go with and what size of injectors.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI
fallenone121
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallenone121 »

Got my hands on a fully cleaned up early model valve cover and got pricing for cerakoting in Grand Rapids to coat it.

Merkur Midwest had a E6 available that I was able to buy off of him and sent forward to get ported.

Was able to talk to Ray on FB and J. Esteban on Insta about my queries for injectors for later this year once I get the car in hand - deciding to go between 60-69 for injectors as my intention isnt to track the car but more just have enough oomph if I want to pass someone on the interstate.

If sale goes through on my 240Z project parts - I will be looking into Boport Head setup and upgraded turbo for later in the year to allow for better flow. Selling off projects that other people ruined years ago and turning whatever I make from the sales to help my XR be that much better.
Charles McMillan
Battle Creek, MI