Older rigs with carburetors

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
toffeepeanuts

Older rigs with carburetors

Post by toffeepeanuts »

I'm sure plenty of you oldtimers could tell me plenty. I've got an '85 F150 with a carbed 351 windsor that started acting up today. It started running a little rough and then I noticed it started smelling badly of fuel. Opened the hood to find it pissing fuel out multiple orificesI

I took it out and rebuilt it, adjusted everything, and put it back on. Went to fire up the ol' truck and it was still dumping fuel everywhere it shouldn't, but now instead of the same two places as before, now it was coming out of the top vent tubes! I've already went ahead and ordered a brand new reman carb, but I'd really like to know what you guys think the issue might have been. As I said, I rebuilt it and replaced every gasket and piece I could. The float was adjusted to be level, so I'm not sure why the bowls still kept filling up and thus overflowing.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Older rigs with carburetors

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Maybe is has some weird crack in the inside. So even when the float is up and the needle and seat are together the fuel still goes into some areas it should not. You can bench the thing with an elevated fuel tank and see what happens.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Does the float have fuel in it?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
toffeepeanuts

Post by toffeepeanuts »

Yes, it ended up having multiple pinholes in the old foam float. I bought a new unit online and that fixed it, but gave me some other issues. Thankfully its no longer a rolling fire hazard, but now with this new carb the throttle blades physically won't close themselves all the way so even at idle its turning at 2500 rpm or so. He's been driving it like that just fine, when it gets warmer I'll help him take it back off and swap parts between the new and old one to hopefully have a frankenstein but working carburetor. This would have been done sooner but he's very busy with school and work, and I try my hardest to not work on anyone else's vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Now we just need to figure out why the turn signals have completely stopped working
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Now we just need to figure out why the turn signals have completely stopped working

Bad ground[s].
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

"toffeepeanuts" isn't a "Newbie". I remember him and his white XR and many posts from the past.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
toffeepeanuts

Post by toffeepeanuts »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:27 am "toffeepeanuts" isn't a "Newbie". I remember him and his white XR and many posts from the past.

YMMV
Definitely a newbie, I only just became part of the Merkur community when I picked up my first XR early summer 2021
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

toffeepeanuts wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:56 pm Now we just need to figure out why the turn signals have completely stopped working
Does the emergency flasher work? If so, it's very likely that the turn signal flasher relay has failed. That's a very common failure and a separate relay from the one used for the emergency flasher.
Brad
toffeepeanuts

Post by toffeepeanuts »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:17 pm
toffeepeanuts wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:56 pm Now we just need to figure out why the turn signals have completely stopped working
Does the emergency flasher work? If so, it's very likely that the turn signal flasher relay has failed. That's a very common failure and a separate relay from the one used for the emergency flasher.
I'm not sure, I haven't messed with the truck since putting on the new carb. Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look this weekend if I have the time. Planning on picking up another project, an '80 Fiesta. Should go well with my XR I think :D