**Watkins Glen, June 5-6, Immediately after Carlisle**

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 2-4, 2006.
Merkur Club web site
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

AnHonestCitizen wrote:I saw you throw your hands up after the Toe, but I couldn't tell what was wrong.
He gave me a point by but I waived it off. I wish I could post the video of me behind him but my little camera jiggled loose on the last 10 minutes or so of that session.

Brad,

I wish you were there, you seem to know the track pretty well, I would have liked to follow you around for a bit ;).
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
PDenbigh wrote:Do you have any in car vids to show us how it's done?
As a matter of fact, I do... 8) :mrgreen:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v148/ ... enchgp.flv
Wow Brad, what sort of body kit do you have on those Merkurs? You must have regressed because I like those much better than the pontiac grill ;-).
Peter Denbigh

http://www.85xr.com
AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AnHonestCitizen »

You mean that Blue Mustang gave you a point by on the sole of the boot? That's crazy. You were too far back to overtake him there, weren't you? At least it seems that way to me from the Vid.
Not to detract from a nice piece of driving, but some of those guys did not belong on the track at the same time as the two of you. Well, I guess that doesn't detract from your driving, does it? :wink:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

white_2kgt wrote:Brad,

I wish you were there, you seem to know the track pretty well, I would have liked to follow you around for a bit ;).
Based on what I saw, I suspect you wouldn't have been behind me for long. :lol:

I know it's ~360 days out, but I'm already struggling with what I'm going to do next year. The #1 goal is to have the Brat project done enough to be at Carlisle, but my focus will be more on sheet metal than drive-train. It's not unreasonable to think that I could have a track capable drive-train in it by then. Enough talk - I'm cutting sheet metal this weekend and getting started. :twisted:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

AnHonestCitizen wrote:You mean that Blue Mustang gave you a point by on the sole of the boot?
No, I'm talking about the one that Peter caught up to coming into the final two turns. He (she?) was nervously braking coming OUT of both turns!!! :roll:
Brad
AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry Brad, I was addressing Peter with that question in regards to him throwing up his hands right after the track out point of the Toe. There were two blue Mustangs in the Vid, correct? The first one he blows by after the Esses and the second one he comes up on at the very end of the Vid. That last car is a blue Mustang, right? Hard for me to see. My monitor is not the greatest.
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
white_2kgt wrote:Brad,

Based on what I saw, I suspect you wouldn't have been behind me for long. :lol:
Interesting. I wasn't going to go back to WGI next year, but if you show up I may just have to ;).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

white_2kgt wrote:Interesting. I wasn't going to go back to WGI next year, but if you show up I may just have to ;).
Note to self... Put extra reinforcement in rear bumper to better absorb Chad's inevitable bump-drafting when I forget to wave him by. :lol:
Brad
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

Great stuff Peter & Chad. Sorry I couldn't be there this year again, but there was just too much to do & I didn't think my tires would last a fourth trip to the Glen.

You really blew by some of those cars and yes, the FIA rumble strip is very forgiving isn't it? I just love the Essses. I could drive them all day. As you hit the bottom flat out (in my car anyway), aiming straight for the flag-man tower and then hitting the apex all flat out. Wow!

I like the 'new' passing rule on the back straight. Slower car keeps right makes a lot more sense.

Incredible. I missed you all this year. I got Dave's synopsis from the GT. Seemed like he is very happy with the Rousch mods.

See you next year or in August if I can swing it.

Paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

Here's one more,

Right Click Save As

Some of it isn't from the same lap as you will see, but most of it is from the same session. Just a quick throw together of some different angles.
AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

That Mustang is impressive. Almost makes me want to build one! That must have been a helluva lot of fun to eat up the track like that.
One tip to file away for next time, though:
I was showed a slightly different line through Turn 9 which, should you go back, you may want to try. It worked really well for me, so you might have success with it, too. Turn 9 is the left-hander at the very end of the Boot section. It is the one that dumps you back onto the "Nascar Straight". In this last Vid, your turn-in point was on the farthest right shoulder of the track. One of my instructors showed me that there are a couple of groves in the track at the turn-in point about one car width to the left of that far right side. If you go back, try approaching that corner a little more to the center of the track. You can use those ruts like train track rails for your tires and just ride them right through the apex. I found that if I was to the right of these ruts, then I had to transverse them on my way to the apex and doing so would upset my car slightly.
I know this sounds counter-intuitive; you normally want to use the whole width of the track, but it really did work well for me. I always felt like I'd screwed up that turn until until I tried this "shallow" line. Worked so well once I did it, I never worried about that corner again.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Interesting info on turn 9 David. I struggled with that turn as well - it reminds me of turn 5 at Bridgehampton - the only turn I've ever spun a car at. :oops: I found that some left-footed braking helped to keep the car planted better; you just need to make sure not to linger on the brake pedal and scrub off too much momentum. Momentum is everything on an up-hill turn.
Brad
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

I struggled w/ 9 both days, never really got comfortable with it. I watched some of the Rolex DP race they had there on Saturday of last week, they had some REALLY different lines, like coming out of the bus stop, going into the esses and turn 9. If I go back I'll probably try some of that as well.

Here's something you guys might be interested to know. I had to pull my engine out this weekend. I've been running on 7 cylinders for quite a while now and my timing on the drivers side cylinders was off by 1 tooth on the cam gear, so in short I was down about 40ish HP and even more torque. I can't wait to see what this car will do with full power ;).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Damn Chad, if that's what you run like on 7 cylinders, I'm going to require that you run on 6 next year! :P

Did you find that the Rolex cars were taking a much lower line coming out of the bus stop? I noticed that from the NASCAR guys, and I don't think it was an issue of protecting their position. I seem to recall they hung low in qualifying as well.
Brad
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Did you find that the Rolex cars were taking a much lower line coming out of the bus stop? I noticed that from the NASCAR guys, and I don't think it was an issue of protecting their position. I seem to recall they hung low in qualifying as well.
Yes, they would come out of the bus stop and stay tight right, it was very interesting. They would do it when all alone as well, so it wasn't b/c of position.