EGR Removal

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
zealost

EGR Removal

Post by zealost »

No, this isn't the usual question, about ' how can i remove it'. I'm only asking... WHY remove it? .. and someone told me that it only heats up the [exhaust] or something .. meaning, bad. I'm actually clueless, so i thought i'd throw the question.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: EGR Removal

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

It puts a little bit of exhaust (with little to no oxygen left) into the combustion chamber which gives you slightly better fuel mileage. It is like the engine is slightly smaller displacement. Most cars got fixed for free at the dealer (search emissions recall modification) and now the egr supposedly never activates at all or it is very rare. So I didn't feel bad not even running a vacuum line to it. I just loop a small piece of vac line between ports on the vacuum tree so I don't have a huge leak.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Exhaust gas is a slightly lower temperature than combustion temperature so adding it to the intake, when needed (per the ECU), lowers the production of Nitous Oxide (NO2) at the tailpipe. NO2 is an undesirable exhaust emission with respect to human respiration.

The EGR is activated only under certain engine load conditions. Keeping it installed and working detracts little from enjoying an XR's performance at various throttle positions.
Screenshot_20220510-213115_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220510-213115_Chrome.jpg (319.17 KiB) Viewed 9473 times

Link is to excellent description of the EGR by Larry Carley who writes on all aspects of internal combustion engines:

https://aa1car.com/library/egr.htm#:~:t ... ulation%20(EGR,that%20contribute%20to%20air%20pollution.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Tue May 10, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

EGR is the exhaust, already burnt air mass in the cylinder.
Since it is already burnt, the oxygen content is much less than fresh air.
By mixing this in the cylinder, you're putting inert gas back in, less oxygen, less NOx.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

To answer your question as to WHY you might want to remove EGR, it's mostly just to clean up the engine bay and make it a little easier to get access to things. That's not a terribly compelling reason - it doesn't get in the way too often - and keep in mind, technically, it's against the law.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

^^ Scorpio EGR is away from the engine bay, on the Y pipe about 2 feet from the engine.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The only time I would consider EGR delete would be if I was totally replacing the ECM with some aftermarket solution like Megasquirt.

On some vehicles just installing an EGR blanking plate will screw up the PFE signal with the result of the ECM implementing a strategy that would yield lower performance.
Specialization is for Insects