Major fire closes I-81 for months

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 7-9, 2013.
Merkur Club web site
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Major fire closes I-81 for months

Post by merk23literturbo »

I don't know if this will affect anyone coming to Carlisle but I am sure it will create some traffic issues.
A section of Interstate 81 is expected to remain closed at least through Sunday after a tanker fire and multiple explosions Thursday caused extensive damage to two spans of the highway’s interchange with Route 322.

Long-term repairs to the interchange, damaged by a fire so intense it melted concrete, could take months and cost millions of dollars.

The incident caused the closure of I-81 between Exits 59 and 70. Commuters should expect significant delays today.

Commuters struggling to find alternate routes home Thursday evening found the situation went from bad to worse when the turnpike crawled to a stop for hours due to an unrelated truck fire. PennDOT had urged commuters to take the turnpike in an effort to alleviate congestion from I-81’s closure
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Merkur

Re: Major fire closes I-81 for months

Post by Merkur »

Wow - this will certainly affect a lot of people. PennDOT states that I-81 is cloded in both directions until Monday May 13 but there could be lasting delays. The incident was at the junction with 322, just east of the Susquehanna bridge and due north of Harrisburg.

Paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I was just reading about this last night but didn't realize the magnitude. At least they've got 4 weeks to get alternate routes sorted out for us. Or perhaps they'll actually have re-opened by then. If not, what we'll need to do is head down Rt.83 and then come across the river that way. Heck, that might actually be quicker since all the lights are avoided on 11/15.

Note, if you're coming from the west this won't effect you at all. It also won't effect our "daily commute" from the Radisson to the Fairgrounds.
Brad
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:I was just reading about this last night but didn't realize the magnitude. At least they've got 4 weeks to get alternate routes sorted out for us. Or perhaps they'll actually have re-opened by then. If not, what we'll need to do is head down Rt.83 and then come across the river that way. Heck, that might actually be quicker since all the lights are avoided on 11/15.

Note, if you're coming from the west this won't effect you at all. It also won't effect our "daily commute" from the Radisson to the Fairgrounds.
Brad,

It'll take them longer than that just to get the bids for the job.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
saleen322
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saleen322 »

It appears the damage is not as bad as first thought and the interchange is to be reopened this week I believe.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I heard that road burned right down to the ground, but then they realized that that was actually not a problem.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Merkur

Post by Merkur »

Correct John. They just reclassified the missing section of bridge deck as a pothole and that allowed them to re-open the road.

Paul :roll:
Paul "the Brit" West
Doylestown, PA