C.V. Joint boots

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
mopman93
Level 2
Level 2

C.V. Joint boots

Post by mopman93 »

Let's make this common knowledge:

Just finished replacing the boots in my car. Looked up merkur boots and most places list a universal item that is no Bueno. If you need a boot look up application for a 1990 VW Vanagon. The boots are the same inner and outer rear and they are available at advance auto or rock auto or any where you like for $8-20. You can also use the joints but I haven't found them separate from the axles. Rock auto has merkur axles (using the vw joints) for like $45.

Do it up.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: C.V. Joint boots

Post by thesameguy »

Nice find!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

mopman93 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 am Let's make this common knowledge:

Just finished replacing the boots in my car. Looked up merkur boots and most places list a universal item that is no Bueno. If you need a boot look up application for a 1990 VW Vanagon. The boots are the same inner and outer rear and they are available at advance auto or rock auto or any where you like for $8-20. You can also use the joints but I haven't found them separate from the axles. Rock auto has merkur axles (using the vw joints) for like $45.

Do it up.
Did you use the one with the metal flange, or just the standard boot. Part number? I know it's an old post....
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm Did you use the one with the metal flange, or just the standard boot. Part number? I know it's an old post....
Nowadays I would only consider getting the one with the flange already attached. That way you only need to be concerned with the seal on the axle, and some of them suggest that's self-sealing if they're tight enough.

It would appear that the application is 1986 - 1991 Vanagon. I'm not however sure if the CV joint itself is cross-compatible, as VW used a variety of different spline counts/sizes on the axles.

I do know that the CV joints used on some of the cheap rebuilt axles are crap. I recently removed a complete axle that had maybe 10K miles on it. The boots had already failed and the joint was way loose. I believe it came from O'Reilly's.
Brad
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am
my8950 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm Did you use the one with the metal flange, or just the standard boot. Part number? I know it's an old post....
Nowadays I would only consider getting the one with the flange already attached. That way you only need to be concerned with the seal on the axle, and some of them suggest that's self-sealing if they're tight enough.

It would appear that the application is 1986 - 1991 Vanagon. I'm not however sure if the CV joint itself is cross-compatible, as VW used a variety of different spline counts/sizes on the axles.

I do know that the CV joints used on some of the cheap rebuilt axles are crap. I recently removed a complete axle that had maybe 10K miles on it. The boots had already failed and the joint was way loose. I believe it came from O'Reilly's.

When I did my axle rebuild, I used the boots that Jeff has.

I used the following CVs which were direct fit to the OEM XR stubs (diff and hub side):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... 901-00-M60

I still have the grease and boots, but assume they'd work on the XR too. With needing 4 of the above it's a bit pricey, but they are strong and well, they're quality GKN parts. I also used Swepco grease (which Pelican Parts also sells).

I also used these gaskets:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... 297-00-OEM

OEM Parts Haus had them which is where I ordered from.