Zetec swap 88 xr4ti

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Zetec swap 88 xr4ti

Post by foundnemo25 »

Well I'm new here. I had done quite a bit of research on the zetec swap. I have seen one attempt it over the years aND many went other routes. Well I had a little time this weekend, and wanted to show some progress .

This is how it sits right now as I am posting this on the forum.Image

Drivers side engine mount Image

Passenger side engine mountImage
I have been taking a lot of pictures lol.I have wired in megasquirt 2 with the relay board and it cranks at turn key. I have some turbo manifold pieces to order.
The engine came out of my zx2 compound turbo setup. Fully built from svt focus head to the bottom end. I am deciding if I want to put the compound turbo setup on it while it is in the merkur. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Its not what you build, its how you build it.
1988 Merkur XR4TI 393W Turbo Setup
1986 Merkur XR4TI Stock wife's little beater
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Zetec swap 88 xr4ti

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Look forward to seeing the progress on this. I also recall that years ago (at least 10), someone started on a Zetec swap, but never got very far with it. IIRC, the bell bolt pattern is mostly the same as the Lima, yes?
Brad
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

The bolt pattern is roughly the same , besides the top two bolts. On the 2.3 engine it you look at the mating side of the engine,you will see 4 upper bolts, 2 lower and 2 higher. The lower two are the same as the zetec. I just drilled and tapped the block to accept the upper bellhousing bolts. Now it's held by 5 bolts.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Cool. Is that an SVT Focus head with a VCT delete?

The motor mounts...are going to to reinforce those a bit?
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

Yes that is the svt cylinder head with the delete. The mounts are tack welded in the picture. I have welded them completely last night and making guset to connect them together
mopman93
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mopman93 »

cool,

how much clearance from back of head to firewall? what oil pan and issues clearing the crossmember? Does the zebec use a water rail from the back of the head to the top of the radiator?

These are all issues I had to when putting in my duratec, would be interested in how you are going about it.
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

There is about 3 and a half inches between the engine and the firewall, yes the zetec needs a water rail fo the thermostat due to the original placement of the thermostat housing. The oil pan is a contour pan 95-97, and modify the crossmember to clear.
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

Deciding on single turbo or compound turbo setup

Mock up for compound setup to give me a rough idea of position. Turbos will be more forward to give clearance to the brake master cylinder and room for downpipe.

merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

:cheers Cool project!
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

I would put in some type of heat shielding near the master cylinder. On my old set up, I melted the plastic expansion tank with a center mount header and non water cooled turbo.

Otherwise cool build!
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

Update of the build,
For clearance with the power steering rack, it was either lower the rack position or modify the oil pan. I decided to make an oil pan seeing that I didn't have the ability to weld aluminum .
The room between the cylinder head and the fire wall was roughly 3 inches, not enough to use the factory thermostat housing , and the option of buying one over seas, was not cost efficient. So I decided to make one.ImageAs of right now, this is how she sitsImage

There is only a few things left to do until she is driving. After the engine side is done, I am working on the body side of it
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

I was going to attempt this swap until I stumbled across a nice adapter plate for a Duratec/T5

I still think of this swap alot though! Cool build! Please keep us updated with LOTS of pictures. and notes!
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

espacef1fan wrote:I was going to attempt this swap until I stumbled across a nice adapter plate for a Duratec/T5

I still think of this swap alot though! Cool build! Please keep us updated with LOTS of pictures. and notes!
I will post notes or answer questions about the swap. It's not too difficult at all. I do have a large amount of pictures , I just don't want to flood this thread with pics
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

foundnemo25 wrote:
espacef1fan wrote:I was going to attempt this swap until I stumbled across a nice adapter plate for a Duratec/T5

I will post notes or answer questions about the swap. It's not too difficult at all. I do have a large amount of pictures , I just don't want to flood this thread with pics
Its actually helpful to document with pictures and text of all the custom work youve done. It helps people in the future do the swap, especially if you sell the car and move on and arent around to answer questions.
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha