Problems on my xr4ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Rattyxrsc

Problems on my xr4ti

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Alright i havent really started probing yet but the cars got a few gremlins right now it sometimes will not idle on its own im assuming its nothing major probably just not holding much of a charge if it drops below 1k rpms it stalls secondly the little display on the center console everything looks like the car is a bird trying to fly except when the fan kicks on ? Who knows. anywho if you guys could point me in the right direction let me know first xr ive ever had i had mustangs with the same idle problem and it was something much worse thanks.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Problems on my xr4ti

Post by DAReese »

TPS and IAC are typical idle issues. The display is often a computer board needing soldered our bad grounds in the lights. LED bulbs also trigger it.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Appreciate the help i wondered if it was the iac my ranger did it too thanks man i really appreciate the quick response since its mine and my wifes d.d.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The throttle body should be cleaned at the same time as the idle air control solenoid; crud builds up in the air passaged and around the butterfly.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

I noticed when i cleaned the vam there was a bit of oil not a bad amount just enough to make me think of mounting a catch can.ive been looking does anyone have a how to or a diagram of the car hud thing. Just dont want to mess it up sorry for the odd questions just got it and its my first running 2.3 turbo car so im trying to get it square.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Depends upon the car and the mods. Most put it in the back using the hike where the oil separator goes. Mines in the front sheet the coolant tank goes on the 89, but I've got the Essie valve cover do there's an opening there.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Alright today i ran into another issue when i shut the car down it starts leaking coolant its blowing a small stream towards the passenger side and dripping down the front until its empty im assuming the gaskets are bad being that it isnt coming from a weep hole while its running am i dead on or do i have more to worry about?
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

probably the thermostat housing, they're made of a metal composed of garbage and trash so they seem to warp pretty easily.
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Thanks last 2.3 turbo car i had cracked right there.having to sit here waiting on my wife dosent make it any better since ill be fixing her in the dark haha.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

Rattyxrsc wrote:Thanks last 2.3 turbo car i had cracked right there.having to sit here waiting on my wife dosent make it any better since ill be fixing her in the dark haha.
cant help with that, unless you follow my lead.. No wife, no kids, 3 cars.....
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Matt01 wrote:
Rattyxrsc wrote:Thanks last 2.3 turbo car i had cracked right there.having to sit here waiting on my wife dosent make it any better since ill be fixing her in the dark haha.
cant help with that, unless you follow my lead.. No wife, no kids, 3 cars.....
ah my wife is really supportive with everything plus she loves the car maybe i can find her one one day
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Alright,got one more does anyone have a picture of the ground wire on the o2 sensor its not floating around in my car and i only see a single white wire on the o2 if anyone can give me a hint i would appreciate it i called a few stores and all they list is a universal with one wire... trying to figure out whats up with it also the filler neck was shot so i used one from my mustang did the trick but also seems like the tank vent is clogged or screwed up now.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

does anyone have a picture of the ground wire on the o2 sensor its not floating around in my car and i only see a single white wire on the o2 if anyone can give me a hint i would appreciate it
The sensor only has one wire. The other part of the circuit for the O2 is connected to the turbo. It has a ring connector and comes out of the harness just behind the VAM. That wire has an Orange sleeve on it. If it's not connected it will run very rich, if at all.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Rattyxrsc

Post by Rattyxrsc »

Thanks for the reply my transmission or something went bad yesterday after work. i got up underneath and there was a tad bit of red fluid on the front at the bell housing thanks for everything wish me luck at the transmission shop hopefully its just a minor problem.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Rattyxrsc wrote:Thanks for the reply my transmission or something went bad yesterday after work. i got up underneath and there was a tad bit of red fluid on the front at the bell housing thanks for everything wish me luck at the transmission shop hopefully its just a minor problem.
usually the front pump seal...