Saginaw Power Steering Pump Conversion

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Saginaw Power Steering Pump Conversion

Post by jkxr4ti »

So the Astro pump is key here because it uses a straight snout vs the majority of the Saginaw pumps that have the tapered version. Were there other Saginaw pumps with a attached reservoir and a straight snout?
That and the horseshoe adapter bracket really make this a bolt on affair aside for the clearance of the bracket.
Great work Brad.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jkxr4ti wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am So the Astro pump is key here because it uses a straight snout vs the majority of the Saginaw pumps that have the tapered version. Were there other Saginaw pumps with a attached reservoir and a straight snout?
That and the horseshoe adapter bracket really make this a bolt on affair aside for the clearance of the bracket.
Great work Brad.
Actually, from what I've observed, most all of the Saginaws use a straight shaft, not tapered. That's certainly the case with the one I now have on my F-150, which does indeed have an attached "canned ham" reservoir. That was a much easier swap though, as the Saginaw pump is used on the Ford E-series vans, so I was able to just grab everything (pump, bracket, hose) from the donor van.

I think there are clearance issues trying to use the horseshoe adapter bracket with anything other than the remote reservoir pump. I didn't investigate it much - it's just what I was told. I considered trying to make my own adapter bracket from an Astro bracket, but I quickly realized that would be a futile project. I have a spare Astro pump at this point - if you want it for $20 I'll bring it along with me to Carlisle.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

John Brennan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 am I admire all the work you've done on this, Brad, especially the exquisite documentation. I wish I had that kind of spare time.
Agreed, documentation here and then a final parts list...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I've put about 40 miles on the car, which I'm calling "good enough" for the upcoming 500-mile test. The pump is all but silent, even under low-speed turning maneuvers. I'm happy with the final results.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The pump passed it's 500-mile test last week with flying colors. I was a little apprehensive about using a 3/8" barbed fitting to "create" a hybrid hi-pressure hose, but it has not leaked at all - bone dry on either side of the fitting. Maybe some day I'll have a hydraulic hose shop make up a hose, but for now all is well.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

1,000 mile circuit next: Tuxedo to Saginaw to Detroit and return home.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'll create a listing when I get a chance, but I realized yesterday that I've accumulated a second batch of most of the parts you need to do this swap, which I'd be willing to sell. At his point I have the following:

- Astro pump w/ Reservoir
- Lower pressure regulator from Saab
- Pulley with correct offset
- Spare bracket for "re-fabrication"

Drop me a PM if interested.

<Edit March 2023 - sold the extra stuff indicated above - I do however have another couple brackets if someone needs one>
Brad