Post-Carlisle Survey - Your Input is Needed!!!

Topics and Discussions relating to Merkurs at Carlisle 2019, held May 31 - June 2, 2019
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post-Carlisle Survey - Your Input is Needed!!!

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

It's been a couple years since I've done one of these, so I thought it was time to again solicit some feedback. If you attended (or even if you didn't), please take a moment to provide some feedback. That's the only way we can make next year better.

You can answer any or all questions.

Thanks,
Brad

------------------------

1. Did you attend Carlisle this year? If not, why not? What would make you want to attend in 2020?

2. Overall, using your own criteria, how did you feel this year's Carlisle event compared to previous years?
a) better than usual b) about the same c) worse than usual If answering a or c, why?

3. How did you feel about the Radisson Hotel this year? What could be changed/improved? Would you prefer for us to stay at the Radisson again next year, or would you like to see another property tried out?

4. What did you think of the ShreddRRz Food Truck food? Would you like us to have them back again next year?

5. How did you like this year's t-shirt? Any alternate suggestions for next year?

6. We'd like to once again see a greater Merkur representation in the Sunday AutoX at the show-field. What would it take to get you to participate next year?

7. What did you think of our guest speaker? Should we have another one next year? Suggestions on who we should try to get?

8. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free. If you'd like to provide private feedback for any reason, that's fine too.
Brad
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Post-Carlisle Survey - Your Input is Needed!!!

Post by DAReese »

1. No. The timing is usually around graduation party time or for a few years, graduation for my kids.

2. N/A

3. I've heard it is in need of some repairs.

4. N/A

5. Didn't see it.

6. I'm not sure what this is, so I don't know.

7. I would have loved to see him. Hopefully, someone recorded it and it can be put on the MCA website.

8. Can't comment on something I didn't see.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

1) I certainly did!

2) ‘Bout the same.

3) The Radisson is a Merkur/Carlisle tradition!

4) If I’m honest, this food truck is just “ok”. There have to be better ones available. (There’s no going wrong with brisket/pulled pork. Although TexMex should have been a winner, too.)

5) The T-shirt is cool!

6) Sunday is the day I drive home. Getting me to stay is a tough sell.

7) I’m sure there are other cool speakers that could be brought-in. I missed Steve’s presentation as I was out in the hall having noisy conversation, annoying those who were listening. Lol. I did want to see him speak.

8) I always thought that the backroads drive back to the hotel was a “scenic” route. I think it would be cool to make it a real thing, with a truly scenic route worthy of a fine road car.
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming.

I've investigated several food trucks and a lot of them have a $1000 minimum, which we don't usually hit. The two big positives with ShreddRRz is their ability to deliver meals quickly and the fact that they are easy to work with.

As for the scenic backroad way into Carlisle, what would you want to make it a "real thing"? It's felt pretty real to me the past 20 years I've been doing it. ;)
Brad
Robert Urfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Robert Urfer »

1. Did you attend Carlisle this year? If not, why not? What would make you want to attend in 2020?
Yes I did attend 2019. I may come in 2020. Nothing club related that would stop me, just a long drive.....

2. Overall, using your own criteria, how did you feel this year's Carlisle event compared to previous years?
a) better than usual b) about the same c) worse than usual If answering a or c, why?
I had not been since 1999 or 2000. I was happy with the show as a whole. I am happy to see as many XR's as were there!

3. How did you feel about the Radisson Hotel this year? What could be changed/improved? Would you prefer for us to stay at the Radisson again next year, or would you like to see another property tried out?
I would love to see a different hotel. I did not complain but I can say with some confidence my room was not clean when I arrived. Room service was Ok and there is plenty of parking but the hotel as a whole has seen better days.

4. What did you think of the ShreddRRz Food Truck food? Would you like us to have them back again next year?
I felt the food was great!!! If they are willing I would be ready to eat it again. :)

5. How did you like this year's t-shirt? Any alternate suggestions for next year? T shirts are very bright!!!:) . Probably won't get a lot of use.

6. We'd like to once again see a greater Merkur representation in the Sunday AutoX at the show-field. What would it take to get you to participate next year? I'm not an autocross guy. I love driving back roads. I would love to see more Merkur club ride and drives. Such as a morning drive somewhere through the hills of PA and then to the show field and even a Saturday evening, before or after dinner blat. I'm more about driving than I am about looking at cars at a show though.

7. What did you think of our guest speaker? Should we have another one next year? Suggestions on who we should try to get? Steve was great!!!

8. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free. If you'd like to provide private feedback for any reason, that's fine too. I would love to see a banner of some sort for the Merkur tent at the show field. Maybe there was one and I missed it....

Thank you all for taking the time and energy out of your lives to put this together every year. It is very much appreciated. I am sure to see you all down the road if it not at next years Carlisle event.

All the best!
Robert Urfer
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

1. I did not attend. Too much on my plate.

2. NA

3. Looks to be run down a bit. You might want to start shopping around for another place.

4. Wasn't there.

5. I have not seen the T-shirt.

6. I don't do autocross.

7. I would have love to have heard some of these guest speakers, if I would go.

8. I hope life allows me to attend one of these in the future.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thanks for the feedback Ron & Robert. Myself and others noticed a decline in the Radisson this year. I would need some assurances that things will improve next year before I'd sign us back up for 2020. The challenge is that the back parking lot area at the Radisson is ideally suited for us (for several reasons), unlike any other hotel I've looked at or that we've stayed at.

The MCA/Merkur banners were indeed absent this year. That one was totally on me. I just plain forgot to bring them. :oops:
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

1. Did not attend. Too far, expense; not generally a good date for me and my family.
2. N/A
3. Don't remember where we stayed in '04 and '05, but that was nice-- offered in re other comments here on the current venue.
4. N/A
5. I wish I knew; haven't seen it, either.
6. The only way I could participate in such an event is if it were held somewhere within a reasonable geographical distance, e.g., SoCal.
7. I think you had an excellent speaker, of course.
8. Although I understand that Carlisle is perhaps the closest venue for the largest number of members, it would be nice to see some MCA-sponsored events in other regions; I know that the Fabulous Fords Forever event in Anaheim is something I could realistically attend, and there are also large concentrations of owners/members in the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere. That way, the MCA could be more of a national, and less of a de facto regional club. All members pay the same dues, after all.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm 3. Don't remember where we stayed in '04 and '05, but that was nice-- offered in re other comments here on the current venue.
Hotel Carlisle. Take a look at this video (or just a portion of it) and you may want to rescind your recommendation. :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/zDnVxvwGKUU
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

:esurprise
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Yes, I’d loose my high paying MCA job if I didn’t attend ;)

Better than usual because of Saxty and Lionel, his van & his mechanic Mick. Usual repairs in parking lot and show field. It amazes me how we work together to keep these cars running.

It’s going to be difficult to find another hotel that is as understanding as the Radisson. They basically allocated the parking lot to the MCA, allow a food truck, repairs to our Merkurs, provide water hose and usually 55 gal garbage cans. Most important is getting the hose faucet repaired. Does the MCA have a plumber to R&R it?

Fine and fulfilling for Colette and I. I didn’t hear any complaints.

5. How did you like this year's t-shirt? Any alternate suggestions for next year?
Rather dull, we need something more vibrant.

6. We'd like to once again see a greater Merkur representation in the Sunday AutoX at the show-field. What would it take to get you to participate next year?
My bad, I forgot about it. BIG sign at Radisson or bull horn announcement.

7. What did you think of our guest speaker? Should we have another one next year? Suggestions on who we should try to get?
Steve Saxty was excellent especially after his presentation talking with everyone in the parking lot. Other speakers could be writers from Car & Driver, Motor Trend, and Road & Track

8. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free. If you'd like to provide private feedback for any reason, that's fine too.
Convoys might encourage a few more to attend. Good to have a “Friends Along the Road” for those who are skeptical of their Merkur’s reliability.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm 8. Although I understand that Carlisle is perhaps the closest venue for the largest number of members, it would be nice to see some MCA-sponsored events in other regions; I know that the Fabulous Fords Forever event in Anaheim is something I could realistically attend, and there are also large concentrations of owners/members in the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere. That way, the MCA could be more of a national, and less of a de facto regional club. All members pay the same dues, after all.
We've tried in the past and would certainly try in the future to support a "Carlisle West" (or wherever). Indeed we did specifically support the Fabulous Fords event many years ago, but nobody really ran with it after that. At the end of the day, it requires "boots on the ground" to make it happen. i.e. Someone(s) local to the event needs to drive it, needs to "own" it.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Thank you, understood. There are no events here in Arizona that I know of, nor enough Merkur peeps here to justify it, but if such an effort could be put forth, again, say in SoCal, or possibly in the PNW where I have kids and frequently find myself (going to Portland/Seattle in less than a month), I would certainly support it and help however I could. Just knowing that the MCA would be in favor of such an effort will hopefully prove inspirational.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Post by phild765 »

1. Did you attend Carlisle this year? If not, why not? What would make you want to attend in 2020? I attended, always do. Nothing will stop me from being there!

a) better than usual b) about the same c) worse than usual If answering a or c, why? Good event, a lot of effort goes into arrangements.

3. How did you feel about the Radisson Hotel this year? What could be changed/improved? Would you prefer for us to stay at the Radisson again next year, or would you like to see another property tried out? Stay at the Radisson, comfortable and priced right. Outside garbage cans. And should ask for a conference room if it rains (for free since we constantly give them business)

4. What did you think of the ShreddRRz Food Truck food? Would you like us to have them back again next year? Food was great, different plentiful. Maybe more more selections.

5. How did you like this year's t-shirt? Any alternate suggestions for next year? T-shirt designs are getting better yearly, no problem

6. We'd like to once again see a greater Merkur representation in the Sunday AutoX at the show-field. What would it take to get you to participate next year? A working Merkur

7. What did you think of our guest speaker? Should we have another one next year? Suggestions on who we should try to get? Guest speaker was great. Let's ask for suggestions on who. Maybe someone from the motorsports world who raced the cars when they were new.

8. Any other comments, suggestions, complaints not covered above - feel free. If you'd like to provide private feedback for any reason, that's fine too. More demo's at the Merkur tent on Saturday?
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com
taylor0987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taylor0987 »

Yes

b about the same

It was OK but the room wasn't the cleanest. I would prefer something with a fridge in the room.

I love their food. There was plenty to eat and they served it fast once everything was set up. I heard at least one person who was hoping the food would have been served earlier in the evening.

It was really great! It would be nice to see a Scorpio on the shirt again.

I don't feel that I am coordinated enough to drive autoX

The guest speaker was awesome!!! Yes please try to get another, but I don't have any suggestions for someone else.

Thanks for all of the effort that goes into this.