RockAuto Closeout Items

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Re: RockAuto Closeout Items

Post by John Brennan »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:08 am
thesameguy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:53 pm IIRC it goes in the false bulkhead area behind the heater control valve. You have to be sure to drape some wiring and a vacuum hose across it in order for it to work properly. It may be useful to pack the area with expanding foam to keep it from rattling around.
Should I change the Carburetor Choke Pull at the same time?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mer ... l+off,6000

They only show this for 1985 XR4Ti but mine is an 1986. It should fit right? They all used the same carburetor AFAIK.
:haha
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

1985 was the last year for carb, 1986 was the first year for EFI, same as the Mustang...
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

I've not had much luck with Aftermarket Carburetor Choke Pull ... I would try and find a good used one. Have you tried Merkur Parts Midwest?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 am 1985 was the last year for carb, 1986 was the first year for EFI, same as the Mustang...
My neighbor told me he thinks someone probably swapped an 85 motor into this 86 because the 85s had hotter cams.

You guys are right I should probably try to find an original Motorcraft choke pull for it. That aftermarket one doesn't even look like it would fit.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

True story. Years and years ago I packed family into my 1966 Rambler Cross-Country 6 cylinder carbureted automatic and headed up into Pennsylvania westward on the turnpike towards Minnesota for Christmas. Weather was just mild wintry initially but somewhere in the western PA mountains towards Ohio it turned ferocious with very strong north winds and heavy snow. A real Alcan highway winter blizzard. About an hour heading into that blast the engine began to act strange, then losing power, and eventually stopped. I had no idea what was going on, but after a visual check of the engine my first instinct was to remove the air cleaner (easy one nut pull) and check the linkage and butterfly. Voila. The bi-metal cold weather choke was completely closed. I inserted a screw driver into the carburetor to hold open the choke butterfly and with fingers crossed tried starting the engine and it did start. I let it idle for a while until the temperature gauge moved off the cold peg then continued on successfully, but slower than before to hopefully minimize the effect of the sharply cold headwind blasts combined with my 65/70 mph velocity on that automatic choke (which I had loosened up a few degrees of turn on the PA roadside).

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Seriously, there were carburetor chokes on XR's? I don't recall ever seeing that on any of the XR's I've had. Then again, they were all CA cars.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I think too many people on this forum use drugs.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:47 pm I think too many people on this forum use drugs.
Well, not any more, and I'm not having any bad-trip flashbacks. :D But, I was thinking along the lines of the 5.0L Mustangs, which were Mass Air in CA, but still carbureted in 49 states for one or two more years ('84-'85?) before mass air for 50 states.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

john keefe wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm Seriously, there were carburetor chokes on XR's? I don't recall ever seeing that on any of the XR's I've had. Then again, they were all CA cars.
No carb chokes on XR4Ti, just a massive amount of sarcasm on this thread.
(And questioning anyone's catalog accuracy thats lists a carb choke for XR4Ti)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 am
john keefe wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:09 pm Seriously, there were carburetor chokes on XR's? I don't recall ever seeing that on any of the XR's I've had. Then again, they were all CA cars.
No carb chokes on XR4Ti, just a massive amount of sarcasm on this thread.
(And questioning anyone's catalog accuracy thats lists a carb choke for XR4Ti)
Well, Rock Auto is our Dollar Store equivalent.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

If you buy anything from CrockAuto, SAVE THE BOX. Any returns must be in the original packaging. I just sent back a Y pipe/catalytic converters for my son's Yukon, since they were made w/a flat flange whee it hooks to the intermediate pipe vs. a ball & socket design like the factory (& every replacement system out there). Too bad I installed them before I realized this. So I uninstalled them, taped the box back together (I had cut it up for a redneck creeper) & sent 'em back.. LOL it was more tape than box, but I got my credit. What a PITA.
- Chris

'89 XR4Ti (5 speed) - sold
ekkdup273

Post by ekkdup273 »

Good to know thanks!
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

Also, there is a pretty short window for returns, so inspect your goods right away & process any returns promptly.
- Chris

andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You sold your 89 5spd why? I don't plan on selling mine so don't even ask.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
R Code
Level 1
Level 1

Post by R Code »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm You sold your 89 5spd why? I don't plan on selling mine so don't even ask.
LOL. The short story is, too many cars, too little time/funds/space to get them where I want them.

The '89 was so nice, and with 37K on it, such a time capsule that I hardly drove it since I bought it in 9/18. I collected Motorcraft tune up parts, and a few other things to get it up to snuff, planned to do struts/shocks/tires, etc. I never had the time to do much of anything with it. Plus, my 2 sons (20 & 18) are into dirt bikes, so now we have room to indulge that hobby, and I have room/funds to get my '67 Cougar back on the road. With all that, and our aging fleet of daily drivers, there can be major surgery going on @ my house at anytime.

I miss the car, but it's in GREAT hands w/Richard & I definitely don't miss tip-toeing around it in the garage, or teenagers parking dirtbikes behind it, etc.
- Chris