WTB Rapido or Motorsport fmic

XR4Ti cars and parts - Please state your asking price and item location. Preface wanted ads with "WTB" in the subject.

Moderators: John Brennan, Merkur

Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Motorsport fmic

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

If the radiator is oem and 30 years old can you trust it? I have the full size metal rapido on the 86, and the md alum shorty on the 89. I plan to use the npr I bought on the 89, and maybe swap the fmic and all the plumbing from it over to the 86. Which has the clocked (straight up) turbo from the svo intercooler and hood scoop setup which is no longer on the car. I'm not sure if I want to relocate the alternator to the other side and do a rotated intake or do the old rally style crossed over plumbing. The shorty rad and rs500 intercooler up high is a nice setup, but so is an npr with rotated intake. You are not going to get much more efficient than a big isuzu diesel intercooler up front with short correctly sized pipes in and out.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
svo84

Post by svo84 »

That is a nice set up. Yeah radiator is factory 3row. Non a/c is what will give me more room up front.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

What's out there for a full-size, all aluminum radiator, with a thicker-than-OEM core? Stock and "shorty" aren't quite enough for a 5.0L.
svo84

Post by svo84 »

I have had good luck with stock style radiators. Three core oem. Used them with modded and supercharged 5.0 with no issues. Never had issues running 2.3T’s with oem radiators either. Smaller radiators not good with power adders.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Look at the kind of power the rs500s were making in the British Touring Car Championship. Cars dominated with no issues whatsoever. RS500 shorty and RS500 intercooler should be fine for just about any modified xr4ti, even the big hp holset guys.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:14 am Look at the kind of power the rs500s were making in the British Touring Car Championship. Cars dominated with no issues whatsoever. RS500 shorty and RS500 intercooler should be fine for just about any modified xr4ti, even the big hp holset guys.
This. ^^^ Plus, Mike's new shorty that's an inch thicker will likely outperform them all.

http://www.merkur.50megs.com/photo2_2.html
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Sorry, should have clarified a bit... I'm not running any power adder, and didn't want all the wasted space above you get with a "shorty" radiator alone.

When I had this as a 2.3L, I had the shorty radiator and top-mounted IC from an RS, and that radiator was 4-5" shorter than the OEM. No doubt the competition rads must have been really good to handle those kind of temps, but I'm more concerned with wasted space. OTOH, I suppose that could be used for engine oil and T5 coolers, but I'd rather run those below and/or in front. At least any leaking/punctures wouldn't blow lubricants all over the engine.
svo84

Re: WTB Rapido or Motorsport fmic

Post by svo84 »

Still looking.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

svo84 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 amStill looking.
I have found one of the pipes for the Rapido intercooler.
So currently on hand I have the Rapido intercooler and one of the pipes for it. (There's 3 pipes total)
svo84

Post by svo84 »

Cool please keep me posted Mike. Thank you
svo84

Post by svo84 »

Happy Holidays to everyone. Still looking. Thank you
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Now have located 2 out of 3 pipes (and the intercooler itself). I am beyond disorganized, sorry
black87xr

Post by black87xr »

I have the three pipes and the intercooler as well as the lower brackets. No silicone tups