Help with head gasket

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Help with head gasket

Post by thesameguy »

Leakdown really needs to be done with 60+ psi to be of much value. 35psi is not enough to show anything useful. Still, it does seem pretty cut and dry it you're blowing oil everywhere you've got a blowby problem. I'd still wanna run a leakdown test at proper pressure to verify that.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Thanks Andy,
Yes it is the Motorcraft version (and new) thanks for checking.
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Thanks Thesameguy
Yes I tried getting up to higher pressures but my pancake compressor couldn't keep up (my 220V compressor is packed up as I'm moving in the next couple of months and needed to clear out the garage for showing). So 50psi is about as high as I could get and it was really low in the cylinders like 25 psi at most so ~50% leakage.
I find it strange that the blow-by has progress this much. I guess the 5 years in storage did it no favors.
Thanks
James
Cossy sway bar, Powerflex, Dynalites, Focus SVT rotors,Koni yellow sleeve over 8"x300lb/in springs,Scorch bumper cover, 17x7.5x40mm Binno wheels, 225/45-17 Kumho 712 tires
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Yikes! Definitely a lot of leakage. Well, at least you have an answer and know what you gotta do. Pulling the motor isn't *that* bad, although it sucks to have done a HG and then have to pull the motor anyway. But, hey, it's old cars, right? :)

You know, when I was in elementary school my neighbor had a '66 Mustang as his first car, and he was always working on it. Always. I used to think, "Who would want to drive such an old car, something that always needs work?" Well, this was in 1986 so his car was 20 years old at the time. And here we are driving 35 year old cars! It'd be like Troy driving a Packard. What's wrong with us?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

You are getting 145 psi across all cylinders with compression test so valves seem to be sealing.
You are not quite in range on leak down test, less than 30% would be better, but after how long of a waiting period? Eventually the air will leak out. This one shows 40%-70% as "moderate".
https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-CLT-2 ... 7417&psc=1
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

This one from mac tools says 5% difference is normal. I would also think you need more pressure, like on this chart with 75/90/100 psi and holding some pressure after waiting a minute or two. Maybe you were not on the compression stroke? :beats head
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

It leaks immediately, there's no delay, the compressor is running, trying to keep up with the leak
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Uhmmm, super embarrassed, but where is the STO jumper wire connector on an XR4Ti? I see the connector near the battery that has 6 ports (two at the top and 4 at the bottom sort of a triangle shaped connector) but there should be a gray single port connector too for the jumper wire correct? Am I crazy? I can't find the gray connector
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I remember just plugging in the black tester to that port near the the battery. Then doing the test key on/off etc. The tester has a 9v battery so you don't hook up another wire for power like on some vehicles.
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Ok thanks. Maybe I’m crazy and there isn’t an STO
Cheers
James
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

20210218_153847.jpg
20210218_153847.jpg (105.72 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I guess there is another wire. Good news you are not a crazy person after all!
James Wieler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James Wieler »

Hmmmm, now to find it
zxr250cc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zxr250cc »

Hi all,

I keep thinking about this and have some experience in the past with a worn engine and oil additives. If I was there I would flush the engine with Gunk flush or BG flush to get built up sludge out, do an oil change with clean 10w30 conventional oil, add Restore additive for a 4 cylinder engine to the oil and drive it for a tank or two of gas. This will not cure the problem but it will clean the engine of sludge and confirm if the loss of compression is stuck rings or scored cylinder bores. It is a cheap way diagnose the rings/compression if that is the problem. If the cylnders are scored this will improve compression and the engine should run better. It worked for me with an old motor in the past.

cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

You had me thinking I was doing it wrong all this time. Or that my code scanner worked differently. Guess not. Did you get any results?