Scorpio engine oil brand

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Scorpio engine oil brand

Post by PeterP11c »

Hello,
I was wondering what type of engine oil you use on the Scorpio engine. In the past, I used Motorcraft, Pennzoil and for the past few years I put Castrol 20W50 conventional oil for high mileage. Looked it up on O'Reilly Auto Part website and they call it as "not fit" for Scorpio engine. Any advice on the matter?
Thank you,
Peter P11c
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Scorpio engine oil brand

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I followed the Owners Handbook for many many years, so 10w30, and any of several national brands, . Then often chose Walmart's synthetic especially when on sale. Not long ago Ford issued a TSB saying 5w30 was okay so I've been using Walmart Super Tech 5w30 in my fleet. I'd never use a 20w50, ever. Re 'High Mileage' formulations my understanding is if you do choose those you should continue with them as they contain seal/gaskets swellers and stopping use of them might result in oil seepage past seals and gaskets over time.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Mon May 16, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Good advice, appreciate it. I like Castrol GTX 20W50 and have been using it for a while. Comes the long weekend, I plan on doing an oil change. Today, I drove my Scorpio on the freeway and she glided effortlessly. Good show for a 35 year old car.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

There is nothing wrong in running 20w50. In fact, I would recommend it if you have higher mileage and you drive mostly in the summer. I often run 15w40 or 20w50. I find that the Cologne V6 runs smoother with the higher viscosity oil.

The push for running thinner oil like 5W30 is in the interest of short trip fuel economy. In a classic car like the Scorpio I'd rather have the high temp performance, higher oil pressure at idle, and the better film strength the thicker oils provide.

Take a look at this chart from the German Scorpio manual regarding oil selection vs. temperature. Keep in mind it is Celsius on the temperature scale.
Scorpio_oil.jpg
Scorpio_oil.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
Specialization is for Insects
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Roger that. Well, I lost track of my mileage at 176K and that was some time ago. I figure she has about 225K now. Over the past 30 years, I changed my oil quite religiously, 3K for each run. The engine doesn't burn oil but as you said there is nothing wrong with having a higher viscosity oil especially in SoCal where I live.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

20w50 is fine down to around 14F. I rarely drive my Scorpio in the Winter when it is that cold. I drive my truck instead.

My mechanic pointed out to me that it is not really worthwhile to run synthetic. I don't put enough miles on the car in a year to justify the extended oil change interval that synthetics provide. I change the oil once a year with regular old dino oil.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Interesting oil recommendation by Jaguar:

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-a ... motor-oil/

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

If I were commuting regularly with my Scorpio (which I did for a few years 2016-2019)), then I would run synthetic 10w30 (which I also did)

But for the past few years the car has been relegated to backup vehicle and twice a week usage. Makes no economic sense to run synthetic.
In fact I anticipate switching to classic or antique tags at some point soon.

As it stands now I change the oil once a year and it isn't even very dirty when I drain it.

Same deal with the Bugeye Ed, although I got a real good deal on a case of Valvoline VR1 Racing oil (conventional) and that is what I put in the Bugeye.
It has very high Zinc content, which is good for the engine in that car, solid tappets, etc.. Can't use it in the Scorpio because it would ruin the CAT.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

$21.47 for 5 qts. Walmart's Super Tech full synthetic is inexpensive and a rational choice for oil changes even if annual mileage is minimal.
Screenshot_20220516-205308_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220516-205308_Chrome.jpg (391.54 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
YMMV
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

I have heard that oil with zinc should be used. Because this engine has flat hydraulic lifters (not roller ones). With regular oil, they wear out quickly and wear out the camshaft.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed, If I choose to run synthetic I would not buy the cheap stuff. The rational of "Any synthetic will out perform conventional motor oil.." does not hold water.

There is an additive package to consider, and you get what you pay for. There is a video up on youtube where a guy compared SuperTech with Mobil 1 on a wear scar machine and the SuperTech is obviously inferior.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Walmart Super Tech product details here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-H ... /839552658

I have no/NO qualms about using Super Tech.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Is "no/NO qualms" a registered trademark Lijewskism?
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Vovan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm I have heard that oil with zinc should be used. Because this engine has flat hydraulic lifters (not roller ones). With regular oil, they wear out quickly and wear out the camshaft.
Agree, but supposedly the Zinc is harmful to the CAT over the long term. Vavoline VR1 is really high in Zinc (and other additives) that will poison the CAT quickly. This is why VR1 is rated for Racing only. But it is fine for vintage "pre-CAT" vehicles.

Oil designed for diesels like Shell Rotella also have additives that are not the best for the CAT but not nearly as bad as VR1. In this case the potential poisoning of the CAT is a slow process (over years) and it really is not a concern for me because in Pennsylvania the Scorpio is old enough to be emissions exempt. The inspecting mechanic must only confirm that a CAT is present on the vehicle. No emissions testing is required. Other places obviously have different laws in this regard.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Actually the Supertech is Mobil 1. At least in this part of the country. I realize the additive package is different. I also really like the Supertech full synthetic 2-stroke oil. I like it better than any of the echo or stihl oils. I burned about one bottle (gallon) of it about every 5-10 days over the last 5 or 6 years. That's from March through December. So lots and lots of those little blue bottles. Doesn't get goop crap building up like the stihl full synthetic. Mixes so well in the can even if you put the oil into a dry can first. It never separates or needs much mixing. Equipment runs really well with that stuff.
If you are really on a budget for engine oil get the Supertech blend. I got a 5 quart jug of 10w30 last week (just for a lawnmower) for around 17 bucks. Or spend the extra 4 bucks for the one shown above. If you are worried about a vehicle with flat tappets I saw Castrol GTX high zinc on the shelves as well. Though you will be spending about twice as much for that conventional compared to the synthetic blend.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.