Volvo S40 Electric Power Steering Swap

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Volvo S40 Electric Power Steering Swap

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Nmstec wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:50 pm 2010-2012 Has two connectors
2004-2009 Has three connectors
Both have same parameters, but the older one has slightly slower response to assist request. Not a deal breaker, but still.
Mincing details, but any idea if a 2011-dated Mazda factory recall pump in a 2006 Mazda would have the faster response? It still has the three connectors, but I'm thinking that might have been just to make the upgrade more of a plug-n-play swap at the dealer. If there's something I can do to verify one way or the other, let me know given that I have in my possession exactly what I describe above.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Volvo S40 Electric Power Steering Swap

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

A minor data-point (specific to the Volvo-branded pumps), but I'll provide it here, if only to bump this thread back to the top. :mrgreen:

Early P1 Volvos had an external reservoir, later ones got the integrated reservoir. 2006 was the cross-over for the change as follows...

S40 (4-door): from chassis number 194532 and up
V50 (Wagon): from chassis number 200607 and up
C70 (Convertible): from chassis number 840 and up
C30 (Coupe): all cars
Brad