Harvesting Seat Track Feet for Alternate Seats

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Harvesting Seat Track Feet for Alternate Seats

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Installing after-market or junkyard donor seats from another vehicle can be a challenge in the XR or Scorpio since the tracks don't mount in a simple, flat manner. And so the easiest way to address this is using the feet from factory original seats, harvesting the seat tracks from seats otherwise on their way to the dumpster. I've done this before using just the 4 feet, drilling out the rivets from each foot. It occurred to me today that harvesting each of the two rails with the two feet attached might be a better way.

Step 1 is cutting the plate on each side where it attaches to the worm gear...
SeatFootHarvest-1.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-1.JPG (830.24 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Close-up of one side for clarity...
SeatFootHarvest-2.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-2.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2131 times
Here's where it gets a little difficult to describe, but basically you need to get physical and using a long punch of some sort, ideally about a 1/2" in diameter and 24" long, you need to smash the plastic roller stoppers out the other end. I didn't have anything that long at hand, so I improvised.
SeatFootHarvest-3.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-3.JPG (825.21 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Here's a close-up of the things you're looking to kill...
SeatFootHarvest-4.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-4.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2131 times
Here's what was left. I harvested the motors before pitching. Just two 7mm hex-head screws hold them in place.
SeatFootHarvest-5.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-5.JPG (864.77 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Here's the final harvest...
SeatFootHarvest-6.JPG
SeatFootHarvest-6.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2131 times
These were Scorpio motorized seats which are probably a little more difficult to dismantle. You can use Scorpio feet on a XR but not vice-versa. The weird thing is that 7 of the 8 feet pictured here are riveted to the rails. One of the rear feet, on only one side, is bolted to the rail. If you look close you can see it. The bolt heads restricted the access to knock out the roller stoppers. In hindsight, maybe I should have tried to knock them out front to back rather than the back to front approach I took with all of them. :dunno
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Harvesting Seat Track Feet for Alternate Seats

Post by milehighXR »

It's easier if you can Scorpio seat tracks that are already puking rollers :lol:

It's already happening with the early Scorpio seat bottoms in my XR...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Did you use these on some seats? I have a set of black manual adjust bmw seats from a 318ti I was going to mess with. I think they would look at home in an XR.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

andyofcolumbusmerkur wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:12 pm Did you use these on some seats? I have a set of black manual adjust bmw seats from a 318ti I was going to mess with. I think they would look at home in an XR.
I did, but in a slightly different way. I used only the 4 feet which I had individually removed from the original rails and adapted those to the tracks removed from the Alfa Romeo Milano with Recaro seats. With what you see "harvested" here, I've got the right and left side feet still attached to the original tracks, removed from the slider/height assembly. I would start there and if that doesn't work out, then remove the feet and use all four of them independently.

The bottom line message is to try to use as much as possible of the original track assembly from the donor seat. Trying to use the slider/height adjustment assembly from original Merkur seats almost always sets them too high in the car.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Interesting, I've got a pile of original XR seat tracks that I've been itching to just toss, but I feel bad doing so, therefore they just sit in the middle of the floor/walkway. Maybe if I could find some other seats to swap I'd give it a shot.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 am Interesting, I've got a pile of original XR seat tracks that I've been itching to just toss, but I feel bad doing so, therefore they just sit in the middle of the floor/walkway. Maybe if I could find some other seats to swap I'd give it a shot.
At least if you pare them down to the useable portions the pile will be a little smaller. Of course that takes time, so you have to decide if time is more valuable or space.
Brad