Stock Vs. Modified

* Merkur 25th Anniversary * Topics related to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 4-6, 2010.

Moderators: DPDISXR4Ti, Merkur

Would the car described belong in either the Stock or Modified class at Carlisle 2010?

Stock
31%
Modified
69%

Total votes: 16

Merkur Club web site
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Stock Vs. Modified

Post by aaul00 »

I will be attending Carlisle this year for the fifth time, but it will be the first time that I'll be bringing a car of my own.

As I was contemplating an early registration, I realized that I wasn't sure which class to enter. The registration outlines "Stock" as 3 or less modifications. Anything more than that is considered modified.

My question is which class my car should be placed in seeing as that it falls right on the line between stock and modified. The car is all stock except for:
1. The paint: It's not a factory color either.
2. Aftermarket wheels.
3. 3' Exhaust.

So what would you do? I know that there are people that strive to keep their XR's looking exactly as they did from the factory, and I'm not sure how "stock class" cars that have obvious modifications are accepted by the purists.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on this issue. I'm not overly concerned about it, but I haven't heard of anyone within the club defining Stock vs. Modified.

Thanks
-Andrew Aul
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

I'd say stock covers us until we start to have some engine mods, or some extensive cosmetic body alterations (Cosworth body kit). In '06 I entered my '89 XR with a, '87 cooling system, '87 wheels, '87 hatch and called it stock. I actually de-tuned the engine to 12* and 10psi so I could run on 87 octane. It was a C3 car, I cared about longevity, not performance. But that is just my 2 cents. Pix of your ride?
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Well, here's a link to the thread concerning the progress of the car: http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16095
It's coming along nicely, but I don't have any newer pics so you may have to use your imagination. :D

It's being resprayed in a bright (er) red, outfitted in some of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEW-0683-7725/ , and then exhaust... none of which I have pics yet. The engine, which is just about the only thing that will be as pictured, is entirely stock.
-Andrew Aul
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

I entered my lightly modded 89 honestly in the modified catagory a few years ago. It was a much tougher class to vote on with some of the crazy custom work.
There were cars that were more modified than mine in the stock category... so I don't think it's really well enforced. It would have been easier to win the stock catagory.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The judging at Carlisle is not strictly regulated like Monterey Concours or the like, so it's something of a judgment call if you're borderline. I'd say that re-painting the car a non-stock color is significant and takes it out of the "stock" category almost all by itself.
Brad
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Brad's point is very valid. A new paint job will probably get a 2nd look and some votes. I guess since I was not worried at all about taking someone's award, I did not worry about mine being "stock". Mine was a dirty daily driver that never got a 2nd look. If you think it will take some votes, and if you feel guilty if you took someone's stock class award, then maybe modified would be more appropriate. But I also wouldn't sweat it. Can't wait to see it!
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

The car isn't being redone with hopes of winning awards, but I am leaning towards modified. I know from the Lincoln Club that there are some really clean, 100% unmolested cars that battle it out in the stock class. My main concern is taking away from something like that.
-Andrew Aul
89 Scorpio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 89 Scorpio »

I entered my car in the stock class.

The mods I have done are:
Wheels (Since my OEM wheels corroded and no longer hold air)
Paint (Stock color, just bumpers/side cladding painted body color)
Exhaust (Borla Stainless steel which is far too loud for a Scorpio :shock: , I should find a OEM set-up and get rid of the Borla system)

Everything else on my car that has been replaced due to age was done with OEM parts from Rapido. I demanded that everything be OEM replacement wherever possible. Therefore, nothing in the drive train is modified over stock.

I read the rules for stock versus modified and I think mine qualifies for stock. I worry about the paint though. Even though it is stock color, all the grey cladding being painted would make it appear different to the eye. If there is a problem I can switch it to modified class. I am not attending for any awards/recognition.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I'd go with stock unless the color of the car is some radical custom job.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

This is interesting... is there anyone on here that is dedicated to keeping a car 110% stock? What's your view on this?
-Andrew Aul
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

aaul00 wrote:This is interesting... is there anyone on here that is dedicated to keeping a car 110% stock? What's your view on this?
My view is those are the only cars that should be in the stock category.
If your car is modified... it belongs in the modified category. Mine looked bone stock form the outside, except for the exhaust.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

There should be more than two catergories, in my opinion.

Stock (purity)
Light Mod
Heavy Mod

At the very least. At any rate, i'm pretty sure my car goes into the modified class, but i've also cut and welded several things on my car...
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

SARON81 wrote:
aaul00 wrote:This is interesting... is there anyone on here that is dedicated to keeping a car 110% stock? What's your view on this?
My view is those are the only cars that should be in the stock category.
If your car is modified... it belongs in the modified category. Mine looked bone stock form the outside, except for the exhaust.
My opinion too. The only mods I would let a "stock" car have, and still call it stock are a new radio(that fits the factory hole), and any other mod that is not visible, such as beefing up an A4LD in Scorpio, or over boring the block to clean it up on rebuild.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

demonfire wrote:There should be more than two catergories, in my opinion.

Stock (purity)
Light Mod
Heavy Mod
Agreed 100%.
SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 »

hEaT wrote:
demonfire wrote:There should be more than two catergories, in my opinion.

Stock (purity)
Light Mod
Heavy Mod
Agreed 100%.
But then we're looking at 15 different catagories for the XR alone.
Some catagories would be too small for any good competition.