Harbor Freight Tire Changer Upgrades

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Harbor Freight Tire Changer Upgrades

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Different way to manually mount tires:

https://youtube.com/shorts/yVQqAw3LmGc? ... UEe8D8zQHo

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:46 pm Different way to manually mount tires:

https://youtube.com/shorts/yVQqAw3LmGc? ... UEe8D8zQHo

YMMV
It never went totally on. On that other video (I like that guy's youtube channel now) those reproduction fuchs and cheapie tires went together super easy. Maybe it was just that particular combo. Putting expensive performance tires on expensive alloy wheels I would not attempt to pry against the wheel. Not with levers or a HF tire changer. I would go to a place that sold rims and had the really expensive machine that doesn't touch wheel except in the very center. Then have them balance them. A place here in town that services zero turn mowers and tractors actually stopped installing tires. They send them out now. They had a manual tire changer and did offer that service for years. Until the mechanic/owner injured himself fighting with a set. Some good tips on these videos but don't be fooled changing tires is no joke.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My post was tongue in cheek, although I failed to add an emoji representing it.

The video is clipped before the last spooning or levering of the final bead few inches onto the rim, but I assure anyone that that last inch+ is easy peasy.

Agree in general re not doing manual tire changing on specialty wheels.

But as noted earlier above, using pieces of milk bottle or material with similar slipperyness and sacrificial resistance between the wheel and bead when spoons or levers are inserted worked perfectly for me. That is, tire removed, new tire mounted, with no wheel or bead damage.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!