Harbor Freight Tire Changer Upgrades

General discussion relating to club happenings and items related to Merkurs in general such as "Merkur sightings". If you just signed on, please feel to start a new thread and introduce yourself here. Posts specifically regarding either the XR4Ti or Scorpio should go in those specific forums. Feel free to make suggestions on improving this forum here as well.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Harbor Freight Tire Changer Upgrades

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Finally got my first 17" tire installed yesterday. I probably should have started with a higher profile tire to learn on - lower profile tires (this was a 45) are much more difficult. I think I managed to do everything wrong along the way, so I managed to learn a lot. Here's a couple things...

1) As we know, lubricating the tire is essential (old vegetable oil worked fine for me). Be sure to get the under-side lip of the tire bead lubed when installing as that's where the friction is most intense against the duck-head. I found it's also important even after you've got the tire on the wheel but not yet pushed out onto the bead. I initially had trouble getting the tire to hold air because a non-lubricated portion got hung up and allowed the air to blow right by.

2) When you get to installing the outer (second) bead onto the wheel, it's critical to get the tire into the drop-center of the wheel (where the diameter is smaller). Even after knowing this I struggled to get it dropped down far enough. I used a wood carpenter clamp to hold it there, but I'll probably pick one of these up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404494566005
Tire Changing Clamp Nylon Tire Changer Bead Clamp Drop Center Tool
Note, don't bother with the spring-loaded clamps, other than perhaps for use with steel wheels. I broke mine the first time I tried to use it with the AL wheel.

3) We covered this before, but having the changer tool fixed to the floor will make the process easier.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

So did you.mount your unit on the garage floor?

TMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:15 am So did you.mount your unit on the garage floor?
Not yet. I managed to get it done with the plywood base, but that just added an extra challenge. Fortunately I have 4 iron bricks that weight about 50lbs each. Between me standing on the plywood and those I was able to keep the changer somewhat stationary. The process I went through just reinforced the desire to bolt it to the floor soon.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Guy mounts tire in ~ 2 minutes using no tools, just hands and feet, illustrating using the proper geometric angles of tire to wheel section is the key, even when using tools.

https://youtu.be/b8IiRrgdEZg?si=LSI13PYn-m0gnUhP

YMMV
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:51 pm Guy mounts tire in ~ 2 minutes using no tools, just hands and feet, illustrating using the proper geometric angles of tire to wheel section is the key, even when using tools.
Agreed, it's a good demonstration of the angles needed, but no way is he doing that with a low-profile tire.
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Once mounted, getting tubeless tires to seal with inflation can be the more challenging. I've used a ratchet strap over the tire center in some cases.

YMMV
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:58 pm Once mounted, getting tubeless tires to seal with inflation can be the more challenging. I've used a ratchet strap over the tire center in some cases.

YMMV
Ya the ratchet strap trick works well. I have also used one of those air tanks, filled up using a separate compressor, to blast a bunch of air in really fast. I always remove the valve stem's core unlike the guy in the first video. Then there's the can of ether and a lighter trick which works great out in the field.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Today that American Restoration show was on, and they featured an old Weaver tire changing machine from the 1920's. They restored it to like new just like they do with all the stuff featured on the show.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:23 am
Ed Lijewski wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:51 pm Guy mounts tire in ~ 2 minutes using no tools, just hands and feet, illustrating using the proper geometric angles of tire to wheel section is the key, even when using tools.
Agreed, it's a good demonstration of the angles needed, but no way is he doing that with a low-profile tire.
.Challenge accepted, BatMan:
https://youtu.be/A-Zx-gDVlYU?si=3TYzw0H5wWJEe9yQ
.YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

YMMV
Yeah, but how do they unmount the tires without tools? Sure you do the "drive over with the 2x4" method I described earlier, but it gets to be a bit of a hassle when you have a set of tires to do. And you still have to work the irons to get the tire off. Tires go on easy but it takes some work to get them off.

For this reason the Harbor Freight tool is worth it. It's $60 now , but I think I got it for around $40 back in the day when Harbor Freight had coupons and sales. For the amount of tires I have changed with it, it has paid for itself, especially given what shops now charge for mounting.

The Harbor Freight bubble balancer is a toss up. It is expensive and it does not do a very good job on low profile tires and wide rims over 6". These are best spin balanced at a modern shop, although bubble balancing will get you in the ball park (and occasionally be acceptable). For example I got away with the bubble balancer on the large knobby tires on the Sport Trac. I guess it really comes down to "diameter to width ratio" of the tire/rim combo.

If the rims are ancient (like old narrow British and VW wheels) then it does a fine job.
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:11 pm

YMMV
Yeah, but how do they unmount the tires without tools?
You lever them off with either HF tire irons or equivalent (e.g. pry bars).
(Re breaking tire beads we used bumper jacks years ago.. :mrgreen: ")
YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:10 pm You lever them off with either HF tire irons or equivalent (e.g. pry bars).
YMMV
It's a pain Ed. The bead breaker and tire removal on the Harbor Freight tool works very well.
You're not prying on the rims and potentially damaging aluminum or paint.

Just so you know I've done the tire changing all different ways.
Back in high school I worked part time at my next door neighbor's gas station. So I have worked a real tire changing machine and a spin balancer.

I also did bare bones tire changing where I broke the bead with the car and a 2x4, then tire irons the rest of the way. This approach is laborious but satisfactory if you are on a low budget and are dealing with steel rims.

I am also the goto guy when I am bike ride leader for Bucks County Bicycling club. I can fix a bike flat in less then 10 minutes.

So outside of big tractors, monster trucks, and aircraft tires I have pretty good exposure.

From all this I can safely say that the Harbor Freight tire changer is a good investment. Wish I bought it sooner.

FWIW, I got curious and had to ask the "EECIV chief" if he ever changed the tire on a big tractor back on the farm.
He answered: "No, the tires lasted a long time. But I did have to break the bead to install an inner tube so we could fill the tires with calcium chloride solution".

Go look that up on the internet...
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I noted at least twice earlier that ~ 20 years ago I bought the HF bead breaker for its ease in breaking beads. Plus with a then-coupon its price was a bargain.

My hack for not damaging magnesium, aluminum and/or chrome trims is this: I cut a milk bottle (half-gallon) along its corners and remove the top and bottom, giving me four strips of durable and slippery material; I may only use one or maybe two of these, the rest are saved for the next tire change.

With bead broken I place a strip on the wheel edge, then use a tire iron over the strip to start lifting the bead over the rim; then I repeat that process moving an inch or two/three/four to continue lifting the bead over the rim. The milk jug material is high tensile and protects the rims from being marred in any way at all.

The beauty of doing tire changing by hand, as in the videos, is there's no need to drill into your garage floor, the wheel lying on the floor is excellent resistance for tire changing and is better than a plywood base, and there is no need to spend money for the tire changer, or the gallon of NAPA lube, nor use up valuable garage storage space, all the while exercising several key skeletal muscle groups.

Win win win win win.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

I don't get it, you have the Harbor Freight tool, but you don't use it? For the sake of exercise?

Whatever suits you..
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

No. I've said 2/3 times earlier above I do use the HF bead breaker (I've had mine for ~ 20 years), it works nicely and is safe to use.

YMMV