Turn Signals/Switch

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Turn Signals/Switch

Post by ckanani »

Hello everyone,
I replaced a bad turn signal bulb on the rear passenger side today and now I have an issue with my turn signals. The passenger-side turn signal is now flashing even when the switch is in the off position, and the driver's side signal is not working at all. There was no problem with the driver's side signal before I changed the bulb. Totally scratching my head right now. Any ideas as to what is going on? These cars can be so frustrating! :x
Charles
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Turn Signals/Switch

Post by ckanani »

A tab on the bulb holder is broken as well, but that shouldn't be the issue. I'll be parking the car until I can get this ironed out. I just hope that the switch hasn't gone south. It is a cruise control stalk. :(
Charles
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

The turn signal stalk can cause some weird problems. There's 12 volts to it (for the emergency flashers) even with the key out. That red emergency flasher button is in a terrible location. Even if it seems to be working correctly it can cause some issues. I once had one where power would back feed into the harness/key switch and keep the car running after I removed the key. It was like the car was possessed and wanted to keep driving around. It seemed like a good turn signal stalk at first, but I was getting a weird buzzing sound from behind the dash. It was a relay that was clicking on/off real fast. So I just removed the fuse for the emergency flashers. Then a few months later it developed the "possessed" issue but only intermittently at first. Then it was all the time. There's a yellow wire behind the dash with a yellow disconnect plug. When I unplugged it the car acted normal again but now I had no turn signals. Around this time I would get one turn signal bulb that would always seem extra crusty and burn out. I think it was the front passenger side, not sure why it was that particular bulb. Putting in a good turn signal stalk solved the problem.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

ckanani wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:57 pm There was no problem with the driver's side signal before I changed the bulb. Totally scratching my head right now. Any ideas as to what is going on? These cars can be so frustrating! :x
Might have one of the little metal finger things not making good contact. OR more likely making un-needed contact and grounding out on something.

Usually the odd, angled way most people pull the connector from the bulb matrix you end up accidentally bending one of those little metal fingers too close to another one and generating a problem.
Or even better, the fingers look 'fine' and evenly spaced apart...but you bend one into another as you're putting the connector on the bulb matrix.
(And you don't see it happen / the connector clicks on tight so it must be OK. :? )
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

Update on my taillight/turn signal problem. The turn signal stalk went south, and the wiring connector for the tailights on the passenger side was partially melted. Thank you to Mike at Merkur Depot for supplying me with a bulb holder and pigtail connector, and to Jeff at Merkur Midwest for a Euro turn signal stalk. I no longer have the cruise function, but I have functional turn signals now!
Last edited by ckanani on Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

ckanani wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:15 pm Update on my taillight/turn signal problem. The turn signal stalk went south, and the wiring connector on the passenger side was partially melted. Thank you to Mike at Merkur Depot for supplying me with a bulb holder and pigtail connector, and to Jeff at Merkur Midwest for a Euro turn signal stalk. I no longer have the cruise function, but I have functional turn signals now!
The car is equipped with cruise control, but you aren't using it due to the switch?
Do you plan to remove the cruise control?
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

I don't have any plans to remove the cruise control system in the hope that I can find a switch in the future.
Charles
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

ckanani wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:10 pm I don't have any plans to remove the cruise control system in the hope that I can find a switch in the future.
The stalk cruise control feature is simply a micro switch. Small micro switches (push buttons) are available, some with illumination.

You could splice a micro switch wiring into the CC wire for the OE stalk, and with double-sided tape mount the micro switch on top of the Euro stalk.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!