Carrier Bearing Identification

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Lurkur

Carrier Bearing Identification

Post by Lurkur »

Hello,

My XR4Ti driveshaft carrier bearing rubber has perished. The car had been T5 swapped at some point in its life and I don't know what solution the person who did it came to. It looks like it has a 2-piece shaft of some form, but I cannot tell if its from the original transmission or a mustang. Any help/advice identifying it is appreciated. I will update the thread with a picture when its not dark and snowing out haha.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Carrier Bearing Identification

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I would check with Mike over at Merkur Depot. He could tell you real quick the methods employed by the previous owner. He might still have some of the conversion parts in stock. There's more than one way to swap over to a t5 and I'm sure he would be a big help sorting out your options. :cheers
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

You could post a photo in here of the driveshaft and coupler, it would make it much easier to identify.
Lurkur

Post by Lurkur »

Hello again. Sorry for the sort of vague post the superbowl party left me a little discombobulated. Here is an image of the carrier;

https://i.imgur.com/3joeJd5.jpeg

This was taken from the rear looking forward. It looks funny because I stuffed some fuel hose in the housing to take up some of the gap. I will shoot an email to Mike tomorrow with questions. Thanks!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Lurkur wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:48 pm Hello again. Sorry for the sort of vague post the superbowl party left me a little discombobulated. Here is an image of the carrier;

https://i.imgur.com/3joeJd5.jpeg

This was taken from the rear looking forward. It looks funny because I stuffed some fuel hose in the housing to take up some of the gap. I will shoot an email to Mike tomorrow with questions. Thanks!
Looks like the stock bearing...
Lurkur

Post by Lurkur »

To my knowledge, the MT models never had a carrier...

Doorman is the only one I can see that makes the "stock" part. Their site says it only fits 86+ AT models.

If anyone has a similar setup, I'd appreciate if one could provide measurements so I may check if it is actually Dorman 934-012.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Lurkur wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:00 pm To my knowledge, the MT models never had a carrier...
That's not true at all. MT and AT, both XR and Scorpio use the same Center Support Bearing.

That said, your driveshaft joint is not stock, but the CSB looks like it is. As suggested previously, contact Mike at Merkur Depot or Peter at Rapido or Jeff at Midwest Merkur.
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Don't know why the Dorman site says what it says. We have joked around on here in the past about the sometimes absurd parts listings on websites like rockauto. Don't get me wrong I still like rockauto. One thing that comes to mind is the older versions were narrow tunnel and late versions wide tunnel. So possibly that has something to do with the wrong info.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Lurkur wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:00 pm To my knowledge, the MT models never had a carrier...

Doorman is the only one I can see that makes the "stock" part. Their site says it only fits 86+ AT models.

If anyone has a similar setup, I'd appreciate if one could provide measurements so I may check if it is actually Dorman 934-012.
You are seeing it say Dorman 934-012 fits your application?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-19 132105.png
Screenshot 2024-02-19 132105.png (116.47 KiB) Viewed 368 times